Auger Blades Help!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Auger Blades Help!!

Post by BBRich »

I dunno I have been debating buying new blades for my eskimo 6 inch auger for a while! It's completely useless as it is, I might as well be using my thumb to drill a hole but I'm not sure how to sharpen the darn thing. I used my knife sharpener a couple of times and it seemed to help a bit but not much. Need something better I think. Anybody know how to sharpen it? I'd rather sharpen than spend the $20 on new blades but if that's what it comes to I will do it. Nothing is harder than drilling with a dull auger!!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

BBR, found this online, it may help.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sconnell/IceAugerCare.htm
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Go and get the new blades. Believe me, its worth the $20. You'll save yourself alot of grief. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Alright thanks guys, I think, being the lazy person I am, that I'm gonna just buy new blades. Not worth the hassle of sharpening 'em. And 20 bucks is sure cheaper than a whole new auger! :)
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

apparently sharpening is very difficullt to get it done right. I just bought a Normark auger; they have an address you can send them to for sharpening. Around 12 dollars. New blades might cost you 17/18 bucks depending on model. By buying them there is no waiting either.

I have punched close to 30 holesand the blades are still razor sharp.

Cheers,

Scott
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Buying new blades is my recommendation also and it is not the lazy solution here. Blades reach a point in their life where only professional sharpening or replacement is the only solution. Your shoulders or the powerhead to the auger will thank you for your wise investment in new blades!

Ratsotail
Duker
Participant
Participant

Auger troubles

Post by Duker »

Hey Rich, about a month ago on another page i said ""I've had the same blades on my auger for 2 or 3 years..and it works just fine". Well i ran into troubles and i'm an idiot for it. I even tried sharpening them and got them razor sharp but they still dided work. It sucks but buying new blades like most of the veterans say is the best thing to do.

Duke
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

I bought a Normark (Fin Bore III I believe) 8" manual auger last year. It drilled 6 holed to date and it now feels like I'm cutting with the blades on backwards. It will dig for a few turns and then it feels like it just spin in the hole. If I get the snow out I'm good for a few turns and it doesn't grab anymore.

I'm at work so I can't check but somebody told me there could be an adjustment on the blade????? Could it be moved back like on a plane???

I can't see how I could have wrecked the blades only with 6 holes. The first hole I dug this year, it was just chewing right through. The second, third an fourth hole were a pain as I described earlier.

Any idea??????
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I believe I read somewhere in the course of my research on augers etc. That the blades are slightly rounded or concave, can't remember actually. But as I recall, this was the reason for a recommendation that you NOT sharpen them yourself.

It was implied that most people screw them up, trying to sharpen them.

Wish I could remember where I saw that :roll: .....
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Rescue,

The same thing happened to my auger last year, it was from the blades getting bent(dropping, bangin around in the truck without cover on)Anyway I bought a new pair and took care of them and they have now drilled over a 100 holes and still like butter, even tho I bent the auger in half on the back of the 4 wheeler, twice!

Cheers
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

The bolts could have loosened up as well.