Ice Fishing For Pike in Kingston and Area - HELP!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kalli2004
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing For Pike in Kingston and Area - HELP!

Post by Kalli2004 »

Hi

Been fishing for some pike this winter in the Kingston area. Had some luck but seen some pretty good catches by other people. What am I doing wrong? Where am I going that's possibly the wrong spot? Anyone have any recommendations on lakes or locations? Or even bait?

We've been using Sucker minnows, dead frozen and already strung with gorge hooks. But I was told if the pike have lost their teeth it's hard for you to catch using those.

I saw my first ever 15 lb pike this weekend, and WOW!! Nice looking fish

Any tips would be great!!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Kali,

I no longer ice fish and over the past 10 years things on the river have changed. I can find'em by the dozens in spring but not sure today. I'd start off by using big golden shiners. I always had a lot better luck around here on goldens. Kingston inner harbour by OHIP used to be good for smaller pike. Wouldn't eat'em though. Around Gan you might want to try Dark Island. Try 100 or so yards east of the island.

Where are you fishing now?
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Kali,
Im rom Sydenham and spend a lot of time on the frozen water. If you dont know where Sydenham is its about 20 min north of k-town. I can put you onto some good spots just outside kingston if you would like. As for bait I would highly recommend frozen sucker minnows. Are you familiar with Loughborough Lake down division or Sydenham lake by chance?
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Good suggestions Orrsey.....frozen sucker minnows never tried 'em but like I say it's been awhile.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

I have seen alot of people using frozen sucker minnows for pike this year and it definitely works well. It is really exciting when they just pick up the minnow and run and all you hear is the reel screaming. It didn't happen to me too much, but I watched some some of the other people I have seen on the ice this year get some nice pike. You definitely nead to have some nice tip-ups with lots of line on a free spool so they can run with it.