Baitcaster - Which hand

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Baitcaster - Which hand

Post by Rescue78 »

I know it must have been disscussed here before but here is my question.

I reel in with my left hand on a spinning reel. When I got introduced to baitcasters, buddu of mine tought me on a right hand reel. I bought a right hand reel and have been using it for a couple years.

A member on this board had a kit for sale and I got myself an other right hand reel. I am considering buying yet an other one and before I spend more money on gear, I'm I doing the wrong thing? Should I be getting left hand reels. I've read that it is quite common to do things like I do (different hand for different reel).

Is anyone else doing the switch hand thing?? I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Rescue,
Im in the same boats as you with that. I have always used right handed baitcasters but before my first baitcaster I always used my left hand. I first tried a left handed baitcaster last year and its like a whole new worls, things went A LOT smoother, and found that I can use top water and jerk baits much more effectively going back to my left. Thats just what I have found, but if right hand works just as good for all things then I guess it may not make as much of a difference.

Blake
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I crank all my reels with the left...
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I also use a left all the time, with the exception of my trolling rod which my wife bought for me in the states. I believe most trolling reels are cranked with the right hand, but they do also make them with left hands as well. I'm not sure why anyone would want to switch hands all the time, except for a more comfortable power control or quick hookset on larger fish to avoid over the shoulder reels.

I'd have to show you. Too tired now to put it in words.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

If you switch hands, the rod is positioned properly in your hand and you get a much better hookset (if you are right handed). It also helps with fighting fish and won't be so hard on your wrist.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

That doesn't make sense to me Rich..what do you mean?
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

Last year I fished with a right handed baitcaster for bass for the first time. I bought a left right handed (reels on the right) reel because my muskie combo is right handed and I thought it should be the same. But with the bass fishing I found that I wasn't as sensitive and had worse reation time with the right handed combo so I'm switching to left handed this year to see if it makes a difference.

Worst case, you buy a lefty and don't like it, I'll probably buy it off you :wink:
Corey Gaffney~BAssboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Corey Gaffney~BAssboy »

I do the same i reel left with a spinning but when i go to baticaster it's always right for mr i tried to change and couldn't it felt weird with a left baitcaster, so i switch up I have same hook setting power with both , and good hook percentage i thought why bother change. The only down side is i have to change hands for the reeling because i cast always across body with my rigth hand. But so used to it it's no prob. My brother went from right to left handed reels no prob. But if you give it enough time it will feel natural. It's all what you have confidence in and the time to perfect it!

tight lines

Hope this helps yea out!

Corey Gaffney
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

I too use left for spin and right for baitcast probly because my first was right and I hate change. The only prob is if a quick hookset is needed and your changing hands but no worse than when you are lighting a smoke or going p.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

People do the left Spin and Right Baitcaster for one simple reason...
Once aupon a time it was very hard to get a left handed baitcaster...now they are available everywhere..still you do see more right handed ones out there..it just doesn't make sense.

If you are right handed in normal everyday..then you should be using a left hand cranking reel...be it spin or Baitcaster...why? Because it is normal for you to throw with your right, so if you use left handed retrieve you throw with the right and you then don't have to switch hands...pain in the butt. You will also get a better hook set as your strong hand will be doing the setting while the left cranks.
SkeinMachine
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SkeinMachine »

Isn't that like playing hockey left handed,and golfing right handed??

All my reels are lefties,except for a couple level wind downrigging models(there's left handed versions of them on the market now too).
big stick
Participant
Participant

left

Post by big stick »

All mine are left handed except my trolling reel that has the line counter had to be a right. But i think you can get those know in a left.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

If your talking about my post Skein it's actually like playing them both right handed.....

I think it's so much better both being the same hand...but then I guess it's whatever you hvae been doing all your life and what you are used to.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I have been fishing since I was about 2 and always used a left hand retrieve and hold the rod in my right. I bought my first baitcaster ( Shimano Chromica) a few years back and it is a right hand retrieve. I got the hang of it, but still not as comfortable as I flet it should be. Last year I picked up an Abu C3 left hand and man what a difference! It just felt so natural :!: Now I have a shimano reel sitting in a box not even in use :cry: , but there really is no comparison. If you are used to a left hand retrieve, get a left handed baitcaster IMO
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

LEFT

Post by Spence Scout »

Go left, cast with right reel with left, comfortable, and easy to get used to. ive owned both hands and no longer do i own rights!

Spencer