drift sock help??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

drift sock help??

Post by Jale »

I'm thinking that this year I an gonna get a drift sock to try to slow the boat down while drifting and jigging when it is windy.

What size do I require? My boat is a 14 foot legend with a 30hp. How much rope do people generally let out when using them?

I have heard of people making their own from 5 gallon pails, milk crates or whatever. I would love to do this but I just don't have the room in the boat for an extra 5 gallon pail.

Like the idea of buying one that I can fold up into a ball and stick away somewhere when I am done.

thanks
guys

Joe
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: drift sock help??

Post by eye-tracker »

jale6666 wrote:I'm thinking that this year I an gonna get a drift sock to try to slow the boat down while drifting and jigging when it is windy.

What size do I require? My boat is a 14 foot legend with a 30hp. How much rope do people generally let out when using them?

I have heard of people making their own from 5 gallon pails, milk crates or whatever. I would love to do this but I just don't have the room in the boat for an extra 5 gallon pail.

Like the idea of buying one that I can fold up into a ball and stick away somewhere when I am done.

thanks
guys

Joe
Big blue reusable shopping bag from ikea...

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Go bigger than what the recommended sizes are. I have a 15ft legend with a 30hp too and i picked up a minn kota one.. it works ok but there are still times a second one wouldn't go a miss.
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

I have a Minn Kota one too. I used it alot with a 16ft Princecraft rental and there were days I wish I had two more.....
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Ordered mine from the States a few years ago! Somewhere in Texas :!: Seem to be quite strong compared to many others I've seen. Worth every cent!!

Don't leave home without 'em :!: :lol:

They are readily available here now, just have to find them!
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

So do you find that the sock works better attached to the front, back of the boat or in the middle. Or is there any noticable difference between all three?

Joe
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Good thread I was after the same info...........plus can you troll with one? My boat trolls a little too fast.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

jale6666 wrote:So do you find that the sock works better attached to the front, back of the boat or in the middle. Or is there any noticable difference between all three?

Joe
Depends on which direction you want the boat facing while drifting. I usually put the big motor down and tie the sock to the port side bow cleat...this gives me a good side drift for live bait rigs and jigging. I also like to use about 25ft of rope and a float on the line.

cheers'

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Thanks for the info ET...why the float on the rope??? in case it comes undone and ya don't lose it?

thanks

Joe
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

jale6666 wrote:Thanks for the info ET...why the float on the rope??? in case it comes undone and ya don't lose it?

thanks

Joe
Yup...the sock sinks!!!! I have a few at the bottom of lakes :wink:
Also if you use a long rope on the drift sock it prevents the sock from sinking to far and spooking the fish or catching on bottom.

cheers'

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Ganman,
I was using a minn kota drift sock last year in the summer for trolling because our 16ft Lund with a 40 yamaha trolls a bit too fast for lakers. I find it works well except it is a little difficult trying to steer the boat when it is windy. I may try to find a smaller drift sock or try to make one.

BigFish[/quote]
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Thanks BF. I was going to buy the same sock at CT. $35 bucks for a cloth sack does seem a little over the top though.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I use the Minkota one and it works great. I actually use 2 of them, one on the bow and the other on the stern on my 18ft boat. It lets me drift sideways and not on an angle so I can better fish humps and weed edges. Have found that an 8ft rope works well in most situations.
Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
dr_feelgood
Participant
Participant

Post by dr_feelgood »

We use these all the time, they are all hand made.
http://www.amishoutfitters.com/buggybag.htm
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I got mine from Ed at Paddletales. I bought the biggest one he had and I tie it to the middle of my 18.5" Bass boat. I have about 6' of rope and will be adding a float to it this year. Thanks ET! :D I have one at the bottom of Mississippi Lake!! They are pricey but definately worth it and will last a lifetime (unless you drop it to the bottom of the lake). I have tried buckets and Ikea bags, they help but they don't work nearly as well as the real thing!