drift sock help??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Bandit
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Bandit »

I currently have two, in the boat. I try using one and sometimes I need to put the second one out. If you are going to buy one get the one that is the next size up from the size of your boat, you won't be dissapointed.

The position that you place them in depends on where the current is coming from and what you are trying to fish. This changes every time you are on the water.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Joe,

I've run them both off the back, individually off one side or the other, depends on what you're after as some have said.

6 to 8 foot max for me!! Found anything over 10' can work against you!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:Joe,

I've run them both off the back, individually off one side or the other, depends on what you're after as some have said.

Wow...6 to 8 feet.
You guys must all fish in small waves :D :D :D :D :wink:

I like to start with about 10 feet in small waves and then let more out as the waves get bigger...seems to control the drift better without the boat bouncing around. Also a long rope when drifting gets the sock away from the boat and the fishing lines. When I am trolling I hook it to the front centre cleat and let it go under the boat...this also keeps your bow down and is pretty easy to steer.

Cheers'

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Eye-Tracker,

I have never thought about attaching the drift sock to the front of the boat when trolling, it sounds like a good idea. You say it is easier to steer like this??? I will definitely have to give this a try.

BigFish
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

the problem i had with tying to the back of the boat was that everytime the the pro[p was turned towards the bag it would give a tug on it and make it very hard to control the boat. i tie it to the front now and i fwd troll and backtroll with no problem. for the lenght of the rope just measure from front of boat to about 3ft from motor
and you should be fine. and what I mused as a float was . I had pool noodles at home and one of em had a hole right down the middle of it i cut about 6 inches of it and threaded it on my rope,and at the end of the rope I have one of those hickers rings but make sure u get one that you can lock by screwing up the clipping part so that it doesn't come undone.
Just the way I do it and I have no problems . I have a 14ft , 15 hp and it slows me down to about .8mph as per gps
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

BigFish wrote:Eye-Tracker,

I have never thought about attaching the drift sock to the front of the boat when trolling, it sounds like a good idea. You say it is easier to steer like this??? I will definitely have to give this a try.

BigFish
Here is a two bag system under the boat for trolling...

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:Joe,

Should have had the word "and" in there....

I've run them both off the back, and individually off one side or the other, depends on what you're after as some have said.

ET,

I run them short usually because we pull them in most times we get a fish :!: Much quicker when they're shorter :!:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:ET,

I run them short usually because we pull them in most times we get a fish :!: Much quicker when they're shorter :!:
That makes good sense WIG, I would keep the lead short also if I was hauling in the sock every time a fish was on. :wink:

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

If I put one on the front of the boat, do you think I will still be able to steer properly??? I guess I will have to try it to see what works. Maybe I will try to make two smaller ones and set them up like in the picture eye-tracker posted.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Bigfish,

You may be alright with it off the front. I tried that in a 14 footer a few years back, didn't like the control at all.

Now in my bigger boat, I usually have one off the port side if I'm alone, thus the short line to hold it, don't want it tangling up in the motor. Sometimes even if there's two of us but then, I usually have two!

If I were fishing Walleye at Quinte, I'd leave them in all the time :!: But when you fight Specks and they dance all over, I pull one in all the time a fish is on, (opposite side the fish is on stays in) to avoid tangling. That's why I go with the shorter lines :!:
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Excelleny information guys, thanks a million

Joe