Thinking of buying a new baitcaster...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thinking of buying a new baitcaster...

Post by Northern King »

I was thinking of buying a new baitcaster but I would like to try to find something I could use for bass, pike and possible musky. I was looking at the Ambassadeur C3 series reels. But I am wondering what the best rod might be to go with this reel. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
BigFish
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

An Abu 5500 is a great multi purpose reel BigFish.....

As far as rods go......I'd slide into your local shop....and put the reel on a few different rods.....you'll get a "feel" for what you like.....Shimanos have a rod for everything....and are reasonable priced.....

There's lots of real high end stuff out there.....if thats what you can afford....

Personally....for the reel I'd be looking at a 6'6" to 7' medium/heavy....that should do the trick...all my rods are one piece by the way....

Hope this helps!

RJ
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

I currently have an Ambassadeur c3 and ive had it for almost 2 years, and it is still in great shape. Ive caught pike,bass,walleye,cats,whitefish etc... on it. It works amazing for trolling,And it works ok for casting. I recently picked up a new Quantum mantra, And ive been flipping in my backyard testing it out all weekend. But ive good thing about the Ambassedeur for muskie :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Its hard to find a reel that is excellent for bass and muskie,
I mean ambassadeurs arent bad for bass fishing but theyre not great. More of a pike muskie walleye reel in my opinion. Bass reels are more low profile in my opinion. althoguh ive used a ambassadeur before for bass and my dad odes, only because I gave it to him lol. But yea if your looking for a bass reel let me know Ill have some suggestions.

Spence
QuakerOatz
Participant
Participant

Post by QuakerOatz »

Bass, Pike and Muskie, well I don't think a reel exists that will handle a nice 6 pound smallie AND a 45lb muskie well.

I use a Shimano Chronarch for everything expect pure muskie days where I refer to a set of huge old Penn open face reels. I have brought a few muskies in on the Chronarch, up to 35lbs, but it's a little crazy. You'd fell much more at home on heavier muskie reel.

What I'm getting at is, buy a nice baitcaster you enjoy, the Abu is nice, but don't expect to go out in the fall and handle a large muskie, you will probably snap your rod and strip your precious gears. For everything else, up to and including big pike, your fine with any quality baitcaster. Just make sure you spend as much as you can, buying a cheap baitcaster for $120 means you'll probably be buying another in a year or two... so $120 + $120 = $240. Spend the $240 now, and you'll have it forever..
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I dunno where you guys are fishin.....But....An ABU 5500 C3 or a C4 are a all round reel in my eyes.

JH, and RJ had er perfect.

Quaker, the ABU isnt a good bass reel??????????????Spence, a Calcutta 250 isnt a good bass reel because its a round reel and not LP????

IMHO if your looking for a ALL AROUND REEL THE 56OO is a bit big to flip with, but has the "Strike indicator" line clicker, for trolling, and drifting live bait aswell.

For the money you are gonna spend, you aint gonna get a better reel for the money than a C3 or a C4 in the 5500 series.you wanna fish exclusivly for bass, or any fish for that matter, then you start buying a slew of reels, but for an all around,,,,,,,,,, the reel you were looking at is perfect!

F.F
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

As RJ said, go to your local shop, what ever feels best in your hands, but try to shop MED, to MED Heavy, more back bone and look for a fast tip on er aswell, makes a better rod when targeting all fish.

But in the 75 to 100$ range, the Clarus, and Compre by shimano for rods are hard to beat!!!!!Great rods, and the Compre comes with a IM8 graphite construction, and for 100 or less its hard to compare that to lower priced rods!!!

F.F
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

I think Abu Garcia is the most overated company for reels... Why well I've seen more things wrong with them then any other brand.. You should never compare a Abu 5500 to a Calcutta. LOL ... Not many people would even think about taking the Abu...

Its much more comfortable to fish bass with an LP. Drum stle are a little more awkard not so much for casting just maybe a little more short distance casting. I've seen a 30lbs+ muskie caught on a ice combo with 8lbs test with no leader, any several over 20lbs the same day. (we werent fishing for them but eyes)... I think you can fish muskie with any style reel just fight them right!

SS
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Spence,

Apples and Oranges with Abu's VS. Calcuttas......and a HUGE price difference.....almost 2 6500's for 1 Calcutta!

ABU 6500's have been the standard in musky circles for decades....Sure you can go more expensive....but you don't necessarily need to....

Anyone actually targetting muskies should be properly equipped for it....the results can be heartbreaking for you and the fish.....mostly the angler..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

To target bass......a low profile is nice for comfort without a doubt.....to troll all day with 2 Oz. plus baits......I'll stick with Abu's..... :wink:

RJ
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

I thought the point to having heavier gear for muskie fishing was so that you did not wear down the fish too much and add to its stress. You can definately catch anything with light gear if you play it right.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Over rated????????????? I think every company is over rated!!!!!!

A 30lb muskie :shock: Did ya weigh it?????Several over 20???Did ya wiegh those toooo???? :shock:

I coulndt break 33" last year, and in 1 day you saw several over 20lbs???

Man I goota fish with ya!!!! :roll:

Abu tried tested and true is the best reel IMO and many others for an all around reel!

Heck Calcutta, and Abu 5500 series are apples and oranges, but they are both round reels, so why wouldnt the 5500 be a bad reel for bass???

F.F
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I have a pair of C3's but they never leave my muskie rods.

There's no way i'd cast all day for bass with them when a low profile reel is lighter and much more tuned for that style of fishing.

There's not many reels that you'd class as all round. A good baitcaster for bass/pike isn't going to be the best for trolling muskie... and vice versa.

A good rod for a c3 well if you're trolling muskie or throwing cranks for bass i think you're going to need another reel to go with the two rods you'll need to get :wink:

I have a golf ball what type of club should i get.. putter or driver? See what i mean... It's hard to suggest one rod and reel for all situations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Agreed with RJ, comfort lies with the LP's for sure.

But when fishin the "Big gurls" I'll take an abu over a Chronarch, Curado, etc anyday.

Alot nicer to cast the "Big baits too"

F.F
QuakerOatz
Participant
Participant

Post by QuakerOatz »

QUAKEROATZ:
the Abu is nice, but don't expect to go out in the fall and handle a large muskie, you will probably snap your rod and strip your precious gears.
FLOATFISHIN:
Quaker, the ABU isnt a good bass reel??????????????
I'm actually saying quite the opposite if you read my post FLOATFISHIN. The Abu is a fine bass reel, but it's not a fine muskie reel. It may hold through in a "Holy S#@t!" moment, but if you're targetting Muskie, that Abu is just not made for that particular job.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

FF

Yup I saw a 30+ lbs and 2 over 20lbs i know my weight when it comes to fish pretty good. This was all in 2 hours maybe tops. I wont tell anyone where this place is so its secret. Should of seen the eyes we were pulling out, and man i caught my biggest pike ever 18lbs northern got a pic of that... and the eyes... caught an eye about 5lbs that was the biggest. But ya it was my first time actually seeing someone catch a muskie, so i guess it was a treat seeing 3 in a row, not only that but the guys missed a couple too...

SS