My Boat ride

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

You certainly have to play with the trim as if it's down too low you get the feeling as if you're dragging the motor and losing a little speed.

I'd have to check my prop as i switched it out 2 years ago when the original one got scuffed a little... i still keep it as a spare though :wink:

If you're not buying a $400+ ss pro most marinas won't let you try different aluminum props which kinda sucks... i too don't have a tach so figuring out if i'm getting the best performace is hit and miss. You therefore have to be careful switching as you may end up going over the max rpm for the motor.

Perhaps another option is a composite prop that allows you to change blades out... but it really boils down to price... as MT says sometimes it's not worth the $$$$
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well the guy says i should not go any more than 2-3 piches over. SO I will go 15 and see what happens. I will also play with the trim. Well If I do not come back from my next boat ride, you will know why.lol
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Johnny Bass wrote:Hey John What pitch do you have and do you have to play with your trim to achieve that speed? My pitch is 10 5/8 X 12. I may have to upgrade to a 15 pitch.
I thought i replied to this.

The original prop i had on was 10 7/8 X 11 RH Alum 3 BL
48- 85632A40 Black Max.

I switched it out for a 10 3/8 X 13 RH Alum 3 BL
48- 73136A40 Black Max.

In theory i should have gained top end and lost a little on the hole shot but if anything i'd say it's the other way around.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Johnny,I have the same boat as John with a 40hp 2 stroke and John is right on with his estimate.I can go 35 mph with 2 200 pounders.

Ron
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

pitch

Post by Bruin »

Be careful not to go to far with pitch.... The way it was explained to me was that the higher the pitch the faster it'll go, but you will loose power....Its like driving in overdrive all the time....Like a race car, goes really fast, but needs a push to get going....SO be careful.... not to change the pitch to much.....I went from a 15 to a 13.... didn't loose alot of speed, but can really push 3 guys around
I'm running a 16.5ft legend side console with a 2stroke 50
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Thanks for the Info. Well guys. I took my boat out again. The water was really rough. I couldn't open it up but did for only a little bit and reached 22MPH easy (in the 2-3 seconds I opened it up). Last trip barely ever broke 20. I couldn't play with the trim though due to a bumby ride.

I just got to get a GPS on board and see if the problem is a faulty speedometer. Its got a lot of power on pick up and gets on plane easily.The Guy that sold it to me said it was rigged for trolling and not speed. It trolls very nicely at very low speeds without shutting off.

Oh well. The boat is more than good for now. Although I want the fishfinder
to beep louder. :x You cant hardly hear it from the deck. I have another hummingbird that beeps loud but is uncompatible. But this one tells you speed, water temperature, fish depths. everything.

Something tells me its either the Speedometer or something else. I doubt its the pitch or the trim(although they will help alittle) I think the engine was modified for trolling maybe????
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

The speed sensors are notoriously bad for marking speed go figure. Most people now use a gps to get a more accurate reading. It's not uncommon in the summer to get weed on the sensor and to get 0mph while going flat out :roll:

odot79 i think you're right about how pitch works.... there's really a radom science going on when it comes to props... with so many variables it does pay to try before you buy.. it's a shame that option is mostly only available when you're paying for a SS one :?

Johnny Bass if there's rough water my speed drops considerably as i find myself riding up and down the waves than going over them... that's what a 15ft boat will do unfortunatly.

For the most part i'm happy with the package i have as it suits my needs right now... in years to come i can see an upgrade to something a bit bigger.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I hear ya John. I will just sit back and enjoy it. :D It sure beats those 5 HP rentals. I flew to my spot that took from 30 to 45 minutes and got there in like 10 minutes. And it wasn't even at half speed.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Nice

Post by Legend »

:) WTG Johnny Bass... It sounds like you're getting right into the soup of boat ownership. It's a lot of fun but don't worry so much about speed. You can't troll at 30mph. but you can get into a heap of trouble with a rogue wave. :wink:

Congrats on the purchase. Your reports were always fun, now they should be awesome!

(P.s. Are you going to hit the Salmon?)

:) Legend
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

The funny thing is that the 2 foot waves were really rocking that boat and its a deep V. I can Imagine 4 foot waves pounding my boat.