Any advice on having an on board trolling battery charger

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Any advice on having an on board trolling battery charger

Post by Mr.J. »

What's better or what advice would you give for either adding on a charger for the trolling motor battery or would you go with a solar charger or any other option?

My boat will be parked on the water and if I can keep my trolling motor battery on board instead of taking it home with me, well obviously one less heavy thing to lug around.

Can it be hooked up to the starting battery charger easily?
zoomer
Participant
Participant

Post by zoomer »

i have installed a few onboard units... the easiest is a 40 amp unit made for RV trailers.. which will charge 1, 2 or more batteries however these are expensive yet very useful....actually called a converter
GL. zoomer
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Just installed one in my boat Mr J. Already love it.

I hated after a days fishing having to get out the deep cycle charger in the dark and hook it up, then do the same thing the next morning when switching it to the other battery. sometimes in the rain.

Now i just plug it in to the extesion cord and that's it!!!

Got a 2 bank 10 amp Guest brand new on ebay delivered for about$ 70 canadian..excellent deal..they retail around here for around $175.00.

If you have power readily available where you are docking it, I would highly recommend one!!

Joe
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

what jale said Mr.J ;-)
Aaron Shirley
Participant
Participant

Post by Aaron Shirley »

I got an onboard Guest 3 bank charger about 8 years ago, and I still use it today. I wouldn't be without it. It charges two deep cycles and keeps the starting battery topped up. The nice thing is, it never burns out the batteries like some inexpensive chargers do. Nomore lugging batteries around, just plug it in and you have juice the next day.

Aaron
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I use this plus a CT automatic charger when I get home to top things off.

http://www.dualpro.com/productframeset.htm

M.T. Livewell
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Thanks

Interesting no one has mentioned solar charger.

Does this mean a solar charger isn't worth considering?
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Mr.J. wrote:Thanks

Interesting no one has mentioned solar charger.

Does this mean a solar charger isn't worth considering?
No experience with them to be honest Mr.J.....what happens at nite or on cloudy days hehehe!!! :roll: :roll: .....does it require sunscreen????hehehe!! :wink:
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

charger

Post by Graembo »

You can't go wrong with Guest or Dual Pro....just pick the model of each that suits you and go hunting.....the solars aren't 'there' yet
with onboards you just plug it in when you get home and forget about it

G
jj-da-fisher
Participant
Participant

chargers

Post by jj-da-fisher »

I will tell you what I did (cheap) its the Scot in me I can't help it.....
I went to crappy tire and got 2 of the small chargers 12.99 ea on sale. They are the type of chargers that you use over the winter (trickle). Then I hooked one to each of my batteries I only have 2 batteries in my boat. Then I just plug them in they are not water proof but they are bolted on the boat in a place that stays dry. Then I just plug them both in at the end of the day and I ready to go the next day no worries.
cheers JJ
duggyjo
Participant
Participant

Post by duggyjo »

Hi do not forget about a Minnkota on board, they are very nice units.
Before you buy any make sure that when the battery is fully charged that the charger shuts off completly, most go to a trickle charge status and this could boil a battery if left for any extended length of time. Ten amps per battery is nice but 5 will do the job. A new 5 amp be battery charger should charge you batteries full in about 5/6 hours after a full day of fishing.
Thanks
Duggyjo
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great thread Mr J,

Just some of the info I was contemplating :!:

This seals the deal pour moi :!: :wink:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Everything I have read is excellent advice but I think I may have dropped the ball on this question.

My boat will be parked at a marina without electrical hook up so I have only one choice, take the battery home and charge it there or....

have the battery charge along with the starting battery, if at all possible, while running the boat, or go solar, which sounds pretty good to me, at least in theory, and if I can make it so the solar panel doesn't walk away on me. :oops:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Mr J Solar panels for charging batteries and wind gennies are very popular around my marina. They charge us $15.00 a foot for hydro! Fine if If had a 30' Searay with fridges, ice maker, hotwater and air conditioning, but us sailors have a couple of batteries and 1 or 2 outlets for a light or coffee maker. Needless to say we look at other options. I'll be there this weekend if I see someone who uses solar I will ask for you. Don't need to myself trolling all day keeps my batteries topped up :wink:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

The solar charger should work if you leave it from weekend to weekend.
But c'mon who ya fooling, you'll be fishin at lot more often than that. :D

M.T. Livewell