Sturgeon Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sturgeon Lake

Post by Fishhawk »

Lake Description:
Sturgeon Lake is one of the Kawartha Lakes and also part of the Trent Severn Canal System that extends from the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay on Lake Huron, a distance of 386 kms (as the fish swims). I know there are smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye (pickeral), and muskie in this lake. Send me an email to tell me where to look for the fish based on the grid I have placed over the lake. There is more information on Sturgeon Lake below the map.

Getting There:
Summer Dream Tours have done such a wonderful job of explaining how to get to the Kawartha Lakes from anywhere on the planet that I'll just make a link right to them. You won't see the word Sturgeon Lake on the maps, but if you find Bobcaygeon you are in the neighbourhood.

Launch:
Jack Van Buuren of Adventure Fishing Maps says "launch at Rivera Park (Lindsay) excellent concrete ramp. Also Bobcaygeon -Front St. West (needs some repair- no fee) and another at Beach Park (good concrete ramp- fee)"

Interesting Facts:
Click here to learn some interesting info about Sturgeon Lake that this guy has put together. http://www.scugog-net.com/kfa/k-sturge.html

Have you fished this body of water? If so, tell us how you did and where you had success.

Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sturgeon lake

Post by fish_man_dude »

Hey everybody!
I'm new to fish hawk and i think this mapping project is great! We dont have many participaters though. Anyways i'm part of the NAFC and soon will be a member of B.A.S.S. i will be fishing a tournament in sturgeon lake and was wondering if some of you ca tell me more about the lake, local techniques, hotspots, types of forage and vegetation. This would be greatly appreciated. Thx.[/quote]
skippy
Participant
Participant

Post by skippy »

one muskie caught in b-c 9-10 around mcconnell island and towards the a smaller island not on this map caught it with a 12inch black and gold jake.ps heard a rumour that ministry let to much water out of sturgeon last winter and it froze solid killing lots of muskie and pics .duh
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

6 brothers

Post by Simmer »

got 6 ski's, all brothers about 32-36' and around 9lbs, in one weekend between 2 boats. All were caught in the scugog river channel (K1, K2, L1) on the south side of Green Island. Nothing on the north side of the island and nothing any farther down the river. Trawled the heck out of Sturgeon point and nothing. All fish were taken within 100 yards of each other. This was during a miserable late October last year.
Has anybody ever pulled any 45' or 50'+ out of this lake?
Trying to decide if we should go back. Getting greedy and looking for a trophy this year.
GOFISH666
Participant
Participant

Post by GOFISH666 »

:D Hi everybody I'm new to FishHawk. I hope we can relay good info back and forth.I live in Lindsay and fish alot of the Kawartha Lakes with good success.(Ski's...Bass...Walleye)I and my wife fish for alot of "ski's" in Sturgeon Lake and catch our fair share.Largest to date is 50" weight was estimated at 35 lbs. (forgot scales in van from another trip with a friend).
I hope to be of help to someone or everyone drop me a line. Caught this big ski during a bass tournament (Figures,to catch a fish like that when your not expecting it).

Tight Lines talk later.
acuraintegra
Participant
Participant

fishing from shore

Post by acuraintegra »

I am from Lindsay and I like to fish sturgeon lake, this year I've three or four large mouth, and my buddy caught a 35" muskie. I usually fish around the opening of the scugog river from shore don't have a boat yet. Wanted to know if there were any good on shore fishing spots around the lake. \
Thank You.
lincoln506
Participant
Participant

Sturgeon Lake

Post by lincoln506 »

This is a reply to acuraintegra...... if you are looking for a good shore fish go to pleasant point where the old government dock used to be theres a really nice ledge about 20 feet out... take some hip waders it helps to get you out and just play with some top water stuff or leechs work great there too....
acuraintegra
Participant
Participant

fishing sturgeon

Post by acuraintegra »

I've been fishing Lake Sturgeon all year just from shore and have caught some pretty nice size large mouth bass keepers and a few good sized muskie. If you fish by the bridge on the old railroad tracks just outside Ken Reid park your probably gonna nail some nice fish early morning or late evening is the best time also down river towards pickeral point is very good fishing. Just use floater type crank baits and jigs work as well. I found one of the best lures to use is the Big-O by Cotton Cordell.
Hotwingz38
Participant
Participant

Post by Hotwingz38 »

Greetings all!!

I'm new to this forum and figured I'd add something to the Map project. First off, I've been fishing at our cottage on Sturgeon Lake since I was a kid, about 40 years.
The area on the map, B12, holds a lot of good smallies on both sides of the lake. There is a submerged stump field on the north side of the lake near the marina. The bridge separating the Lake from Little Bob has great rock & log crib work and is a fine source for smallies, some largemouth and of course Muskie. There is also decent access to fish from shore at this bridge. Little Bob itself holds some real nice sized fish especially in the swampy areas.

I'll post more areas that have been productive for me later.

Pete
Hotwingz38
Participant
Participant

Post by Hotwingz38 »

Greetings all!!

I'm new to this forum and figured I'd add something to the Map project. First off, I've been fishing at our cottage on Sturgeon Lake since I was a kid, about 40 years.
The area on the map, B12, holds a lot of good smallies on both sides of the lake. There is a submerged stump field on the north side of the lake near the marina. The bridge separating the Lake from Little Bob has great rock & log crib work and is a fine source for smallies, some largemouth and of course Muskie. There is also decent access to fish from shore at this bridge. Little Bob itself holds some real nice sized fish especially in the swampy areas.

I'll post more areas that have been productive for me later.

Pete
RHERFURT
Participant
Participant

Post by RHERFURT »

GOING TO STURGEON LAKE FOR 10 DAYS ON SEPT. 8TH. WHAT WILL BE BITING THEN AND SHOULD I USE LIVE BAIT?
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

Live Bait or artificial lure?

Post by bassfighter »

Live bait will guarantee you some pan fish. So does most plastic grubs on jig s long as you know how to make it move the way it suppose to.

If the current is around 10-15km wind, they will be more active, rather than fishing on a very calm sunny day. The best time to fish is between 6-10:00am or before it gets dark.

Try very, very slow retreive is the key to catching them, when you feel a tug/nibble , don't be in a hurry to set your lure, for the fish sometimes just able to grab the tip of your lure, I usually wait for another 3-6 seconds, before setting it, and once the fish is hooked, I reset it again 2-3 more times, in this way I can know for sure that it is a tight hookset. The larger fish sometimes feel less aggressive than the pan fish when they hit your lure. I experience this many times.

Fishing is tough everywhere, mostly from fishing pressure, meaning it will be difficult to catch your limit or quantity of big fish, but if one is patient enough, he will land couple of big ones.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy the warm water!
RHERFURT
Participant
Participant

Post by RHERFURT »

THANKS BASSFIGHTER FOR THE TIP. I WILL PROBABLY USE BOTH LIVE AND ARTIFICIAL BAITS. WOULD LIKE TO CATCH SOME WALLEYE FOR EATING. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TRIP WHETHER I CATCH FISH OR NOT. IT WILL JUST BE GOOD TO BE ON THE LAKE AND NOT WORRYING ABOUT ANYTHING.

RICK
Hotwingz38
Participant
Participant

Post by Hotwingz38 »

Good eating size walleyes have been scarce in Sturgeon for a number of years. They are there, just hard to find them.

Rick: I'll be up there from the 8th-15th. Where are you staying on the Lake?
RHERFURT
Participant
Participant

Post by RHERFURT »

HI HOTWINGZ,

I'M STAYING WITH SOME FRIENDS IN BOBCAYGEON. THEY HAVE A CONDO ON THE LAKE ON SHERWOOD STREET.
MY WIFE AND I JUST LOVE IT UP THERE. ALTHOUGH WE ARE NOT COLD WEATHER PEOPLE WE REALLY DO LIKE GOING UP. AND I LOVE TO FISH EVEN THOUGH I DON'T GET TO GO VERY OFTEN. SO, I'M SURE WE'LL HAVE A GREAT TIME.

WHY IS THE WALLEYE SO SCARCE? MY FRIEND TELLS ME THAT THEY HAVE WALLEYE TOURNAMENTS AT STURGEON LAKE, COULD THAT BE THE REASON?

NICE HEARING FROM YOU.

TAKE CARE.

RICK