Cameron Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cameron Lake

Post by Fishhawk »

Lake Description:
Cameron Lake is one of the Kawartha Lakes and also part of the Trent Severn Canal System that extends from the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay on Lake Huron, a distance of 386 kms (as the fish swims). I know there are smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye (pickerel) and muskie in this lake. This fishing map of Cameron Lake is under construction. Send me an email to tell me where to look for the fish based on the grid I have placed over the lake.

Species:
Smallmouth, Largemouth, Muskie, Walleye

Getting There:
From Toronto- Take 401 East to Newcastle and then HWY 35/115 north. HWY 35 splits off - follow it all the way to Lindsay. In Lindsay, stay on 35 and keep heading north to Fenelon Falls.

Launch:
Fenelon Falls Marina is located just above Lock 34 in the south end of Cameron Lake. There's a launch fee.

Have you fished this body of water? If so, tell us how you did and where you had success.

Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
FishMcCann

Cameron lake fishing

Post by FishMcCann »

Hello this is my first posting . I have been fishing Cameron lake for 25 yrs. mostly on the north end of the lake . At D 4 muskies are plentiful but onthe small side 5-15 lbs. At C-5 there are always lots of bass both largemouth in the weeds and smallmouth on the rocks. At E-4 I have never had a problem takeing walleye in the 2-4 lb range . I hope this helps . Gord McCann.......
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Thanks, Fish!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Thanks for the contribution, Fish! The more info we have on the many lakes in Ontario, the better. Especially from someone who has spent as much time on a body of water as you have on Cameron. :D

CCB
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

I found this in an old email Christian had sent me. Christian said...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I was out on Cameron Lake at a cottage in I7 and found some spots. Pan fish (rock bass, blue gill, and pumpkinseed) are common near any shallow water. I7 and I6 have some good perch and largemouth. Smallmouth are also common. The swamp entrance at H7 has some good mixed variety fish (really more pan-fish than anything). This lake has muskellunge anywhere there is deep enough water and you're using good bait.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Post by mudboy68 »

Well we did camron today and It was awsome we tryed the south side of the islands in D5 & 6 and got Nothing not even a nibble so we moved to the North side and with in 20 min we had a Nice small mouth 10 min later a nice sized Pckerel next cast a huge Pike that wraped the line around the motor Broke it and was gone ( Huge Pike!!!!!) 5 min later had another nice small mouth not to count all the small Perch and Sunfish. So the north side of the islands North west of the smallest Island Top of Quad D5 is a weed bed a little further North is a small drop off about where the deviding line of D5 and C5 is and then another weed bed just north again in C5.

If you can start at the Northwest corner of D5 Southwest of C5 and Drift east through the quadrant where the drop off is with Spinner, worms, Plastic what ever you 'll get a hit. Hope this helps everyone land a couple.

Take care all

Brad Atkinson
Mudboy68 :D
window-effects.com
Participant
Participant

Post by window-effects.com »

H-I-J 3 right after the weed droppoff 10-16 feet depending on water temp bit deeper in the warm weather!! been good to me this year always walleye bass and crappie
i fish this lake 3 times a week on a good evening i can brag about 30 walleye / pickeral in less than 2 hours when Conditions are sweet ! (jigging)

BTW mudboy68 thanks for the post above .. im thinking a muskie took your line for a spin.. As far as i know there is no pike and have not seen yet any PIKE in this lake. But many muskie :)

will add some more hotspots when i update the post.

I did K-L 3 for a couple hours tonight the crappies were large and plentifull in this area at about 14 feet deep was happy with 8 of them.

Btw i do fish this lake often and i have seen guys hook large muskie in front of my dock out past the weedbed.

Im always looking for somebody to fish with if ya need some fishin company message me!!!
See ya out there.
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

report on cameron

Post by bassfighter »

ON Aug 3 early morning, caught couple of 3-4lb walleye 28" at map J6-7, another smallmouth on i7, and lost couple of walleye 2-3 lb range on J3. around 9:00am. All fish were release.

This lake has tons of pan fish, close to J6-I7 even small smallmouth bass are abundant, for those who wants to bring their kids, we caught around 30 between 3 of us. Though we are aiming for larger fish on calm water.

We tried fishing at night twice Aug 3 and Aug 10 with less than 10km wind, one night has full moon, and the other night was dark cloud coverd cloudy night, but both no luck.

Early morning from 6:30 till 10:00am is the best.
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

caught 10 bass and lost 2 musky

Post by bassfighter »

Fishing time: 7am -4:00pm
fish caught: landed 10 Bass averaing 1.5lb lost two small Musky. No perch or rock bass.....?

Temp : 13 degrees the night before till the following day

Wind condition: 5-10km cloudy day, no rain

We kept one 2 lb bass for food and the rest release

We probably did okey because the temp was constant the whole night and day for 36 hours in a row.

Last couple of times we were out the temp was in a extreme swing mode, and we did not do well, this time the temp was more consistant at night and in the morning, the day before and after as well. Consistant meaning less than 5 degrees change

location is H-I-3 and north section cranberry island area.
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

cameron lake

Post by reel2reel »

hey im new to this site.
ill be heading up north (fenelon) tomorrow or wed , and hopefully fishing cameron every day or night until sunday---
i might need a partner....
will keep you updated.
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

not good fishing lately

Post by bassfighter »

Hello reel2reel,

Welcome aboard!

We got skunk two weeks in a row probably due to the water has not completely turned over.

Our boat floor is temporary getting redone and being convereted into a bass boat type with higher floors and hidden compartments.

I start fishing for salmon in the mean time on shore and river system. From port hope all the wya to the niagara river system.

I believe most fish will be deeper under water where the temp is more constant. The surface temp is around 50 degrees right now at most lakes. A little too cold for bass. cameron lake has 45ft deep water, but we never aim for bass this time.

I heard the dam in lindsay is fine this time of the year. where current is strong and fish likes them. Maybe the dam/falls are better as well. but I am not sure if the area is open to public this time of the year. I never fish there so far during fall, only spring time

Do you have a boat? have you fish Cameron lake before?

As of this time of the year, I am not confident of aiming for bass , and walleye can be finicky, therefore we start aiming for salmon, steelhead , brown, and occasionally caught lake trout, though lakers are not in season.

The last time we fish last thursday, the fish finder stop reading any fish, therefore we pressumed they are all on deeper water this time of the year. The weedbed are still around. We wroked hard an dtried all the spot that we normally do well, but we did not catch a single fish. If the current were not too orugh last time we would have tried deeper water, but the best is to use live bait and vertical jig them.

Thursday is our only day off, and we practically all year round, excpet on windy day. -5 degrees we still go out.

let us know how you do especially on the dam. I belive you will have more luck there. If it is open
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by reel2reel »

howdy bass finder-----
yes i have a boat and will be using it as opposed to stayin on land hehe...
i got out with a buddy this afternoon and were both skunked... but saw a boat bring one in as we were getting to where we were going.....
we trolled the south west area of saccket bay with pirtch coloured husky jerks to no avail.....
heading out again tomrrow morning.

were you fishing cameron Last thursday???
the 19th? and no luck huh?

last time i was up here-- thanksgiving----
1 pickrel and 1 (small) musky.....

will keep you posted on tomorrow and the rest of my outings while im here.
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

Though fishing due to inconsistant temp

Post by bassfighter »

Hello reel2reel,

We seldom do well this time of the year within the past 3 years, therefore we do not expect much when we go out.

This is the time to aim for the colder species such as salmon, brown trout and steelheads, unless the water has completely turned around, the fish could be everywhere at a given point, but once everything is stable, they will only be in certain depth, more predictable.

We did decent this year at Cameron, not quantity fishing, but some decent size walleye, we got skunk only for the last two attempt, last thursday. The closest fish we almost caught were musky in both attempt, but just followers and if you catch one, they do not fight at all.

When fishing is good in Cameron, there are tons of small fish including under 1 lb bass or walleye, I have never been to a lake where there are plenty, we caught a lot, and all release. We hope others will release all smaller fish, for they do not fight as well as we wanted too, the lake is a good place for children during summer time. We have not caught a bass over 3 lb at Cameron. But balsam lake has giant bass, but not a lot of smaller fish as well.

Try the Dam if you are not too far, you will have better luck, and let me know , But I hope the dam is open to the public this time of the year. WHen the current is strong, the fish likes the condition, and not too affected by barometric pressure.

We have given up camreon lake now and it is not going to get better, just some odd luck, here and there.

Tightlines.
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by reel2reel »

yesterday we talked the fish into giving up.. IE:skunkd again...
was cold and windy.
trying the falls later on today if i dont get blown away...
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

try night fishing at dam

Post by bassfighter »

Hello reel2reel,

Boat fishing is hard this time of the year, and anglers in other website are hardly catching bass or walleye.

Only Salmon , and trout are the once being caught right now.

BUt try the dam especially with jig on black grub or live minnows, you will get snag here and there, therefore sharpen your hook every so often. I am confident to say that walleye are right at the dam. Make sure the dam is still open for the season. Use slow retrieve enough not to get snag.

Let me know
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

try night fishing at dam

Post by bassfighter »

Hello reel2reel,

Boat fishing is hard this time of the year, and anglers in other website are hardly catching bass or walleye, just by mere luck.

Only Salmon , and trout are the once being caught right now.

BUt try the dam especially with jig on black grub or live minnows, you will get snag here and there, therefore sharpen your hook every so often. I am confident to say that walleye are right at the dam. Make sure the dam is still open for the season. Use slow retrieve enough not to get snag.

Let me know