Big Gull Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big Gull Lake

Post by Fishhawk »

Lake Description:
Big Gull Lake is one of the lakes that can be found in the Land O Lakes region of Eastern Ontario. Easily accessible with a number of lodges and resorts on it, the fishing for bass and walleye on Big Gull Lake is among the best in the area. I know there are smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye (pickerel) and northern pike in this lake. Send me an email to tell me where to look for the fish based on the grid I have placed over the lake. When you tell me the spots where the fish are, I'll add a fish indicator to the map that you see below. I'll also add helpful tips to the area beneath the map.

Species:
There's great lake trout fishing in this lake. There's no shortage of crappie and bluegill if that's your bag.

Getting There:
Big Gull Lake is 95 km (59 miles) north east of Kingston, Ontario, Canada. From Kingston you can take Hwy 15 straight north to Henderson Rd. From Ottawa, head west on Hwy 7 until you hit Hwy 15. Turn right at that intersection because that is Henderson Rd.

Have you fished this body of water? If so, tell us how you did and where you had success.

Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
perchkind
Participant
Participant

Post by perchkind »

There are no Laketrout in this lake man.
hordyk100
Participant
Participant

Post by hordyk100 »

I have not seen any Lake Trout caught here but they still claim they are there. Kind of like the claim that there are muskie as well. I've seen pictures of muskie caught in Big Gull, but I beleive they are incidental catches only.

No real sign of crappie in my 5 years of fishing there. It's basically a good smallmouth lake with decent walleye fishing. You can catch the occasional decent pike and large mouth bass are increasing on the lake.

This lake is a very rocky lake with very few weedbeds. Structure fishing is the key here, especially for walleye - drifting with leeches (these fish don't seem to like a lot of hardware). Smallie fishing is easy: find any shoreline with a good drop into deeper water and you can find them - drop shotting and wacky rigged senkos work great.

Main lake area is deep and rocky, while the whole west end is basically a huge weed bed. A beautiful lake, but big and takes time to figure out. Tons of structure means fish can be anywhere. I'm still trying to figure it out after five years. It does not have a lot of access points to get in and lots of crown land and good provincial camp sites on islands.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi.
I 1st fished Clarendon Lake (aka Big Gull) back in the mid 70's.
We had a blast catching Rock Bass on yes, frogs!!! J-2
Off an island!

Pickerel is also caught in the evening trolling very slow with surface lures, flat fish etc... J,1 -1,2,3

Lakers, I don't think so. Old myth! Promo etc...

Now the kicker!!!
There is a portage into a Lake called Quebec - E-4.
I have gone in many times back in the 70's and have caught some very nice Largies and Smallies. I
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi.
I 1st fished Clarendon Lake (aka Big Gull) back in the mid 70's.
We had a blast catching Rock Bass on yes, frogs!!! J-2
Off an island!

Pickerel is also caught in the evening trolling very slow with surface lures, flat fish etc... J,1 -1,2,3

Lakers, I don't think so. Old myth! Promo etc...

Now the kicker!!!
There is a portage into a Lake called Quebec - E-4.
I have gone in many times back in the 70's and have caught some very nice Largies and Smallies. I also holds Pickerel and they are of nice size (3 -... lbs). This lakes also has what some people are calling Blue Pike? It has a shade of blue.

I did enjoy my time on the lake and throughout the region. It is now just a memory for me and hopefully a dream for new ventures.

:)
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!