Big Rideau Lake - South

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Big Rideau Lake - South

Post by Bobber »

Lake Description:
Big Rideau Lake is part of the Rideau Canal System that stretches between the Ottawa River at Canada's Capital, Ottawa, and Lake Ontario at Kingston, a total of 202 kms or 125 miles. Throughout the Rideau Canal System, you can expect to find excellent smallmouth bass and largemouth bass fishing, and in certain areas, walleye, pike and muskellunge (muskie or musky) fishing.

Species:
There's great lake trout fishing in this lake. There's no shortage of crappie and bluegill if that's your bag.

Getting There:
If you want to fish the top half of this section of Big Rideau, you may want to consider launching at Murphys Point Provincial Park (see Big Rideau Lake North Half). If you think you'll want to fish the lower half of the lake, you'll want to consider launching in Portland - Lens Cove Marina has a launch.
From Ottawa take the Queensway west to Hwy 7 and then south on Hwy 15 all the way to Portland. Lens Cove Marina is on Water Street.

Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

I don't recall ever catching a Walleye on Big Rideau Lake.

Weird eh? For all my years fishing with my father on that lake, never once a
Walleye. I'm sure they are there, just where are they hiding? haha

Pike, Bass, Pumpkinseed, and of course Lake Trout which are found in the main channel where the dotted lines are. Lots of Lakers, even now.

A Beautiful Lake too!