Opinicon Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Opinicon Lake

Post by Bobber »

Species:
You'll catch a pile of largemouth in Opinicon Lake. It is blocked with them. And there's a healthy abundance of the other standard species as well.

Getting There:
Opinicon Lake is one of the lakes that make up the Rideau Canal System. You can launch for five bucks at the Opinicon Hotel's paved ramp. From Smith's Falls head south on Hwy 15. Turn right on to RR9 and head for Chaffey's Locks. The Hotel is about 9 km down RR9.

Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
kjdfish
Participant
Participant

Newboro vs. Opinicon

Post by kjdfish »

We fished Newboro one day during our fishingtrip in October 2008.
Seem shallow and full of weeds. Caught LM mostly.
Wondering if Opinicon is a better lake. Still would like to find walleye in a lake near Westport.
Thanks

Kevin
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Opinicon is a classic LMB lake. Water was getting low in the Rideau system last Oct. Wolfe lake has 'eyes and would be your best bet by Westport.

DropShot'r
r48550
Participant
Participant

pike in opinicon

Post by r48550 »

Recently I have been aiming at the larger pike in the deep channels of lake opinicon. I've noticed over the years that when I am focusing on bass in the weed beds or near drop offs I end up getting a lot of smaller pike strikes on anything that isn't top water. I read an article about the behavior of the large females and decided to try jigging in the deeper areas of the lake like the channel of Barrel Point. I used a chartreuse jig head and rubber grub. I hooked into the biggest pike I've seen on the lake. It hit hard and of course headed straight to the bottom. Luckily I'm paranoid and had heavy line. Great fight and it made my weekend. I'm heading to the cottage for two weeks and am planning to got through Chaffey's up to Clear Lake. Anyone have some reliable spots and tips as I'll only by on Clear for the day?