White Lake - North

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

White Lake - North

Post by Bobber »

Lake Description:
This is a map of the North Half of White Lake, Ontario. Combine it with the South Half and you have a huge lake with a shoreline of over 60 miles. Largemouth bass is king in these waters and there's a healthy population of 3 and 4 lb pike that lie waiting for a spinnerbait. Walleye shouldn't be counted on as a fishery in this lake, but an angler can be surprised by one occasionally. A map is a good idea on this lake - it has a lot of long coves, bays and islands.

Species:
Other than the four species indicated on the map, White Lake has your standard fair of pan fish (rock bass and perch) and brown bulheads. Walleye are toughest to catch and probably shouldn't be counted on as a fishery.

Getting There:
Depends where you want to launch - its a huge lake. If you're coming from Ottawa and want to launch in the north end, you may as well launch in the town of White Lake. From Ottawa take Hwy 17 to Arnprior and go south on RR2 to White Lake. Look for public boat launch signs.

If you want to launch in the south end - you have to see the map for White Lake South Half.

Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

just to clarify a bit,the public launch is located off of the hwy. 52 (road to calabogie) in behind the Waba cottage museum. it is concrete strip,nice slope,well maintained with good parking. also has a concrete dock with good tie downs,while you park and grab your gear.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

as far as walleye go,your not gonna' find huge fish,but bennett and pickeral bay have some good shoals,and drop offs,also birch and ross islands can hold fish. alot of people aren't aware of splake stocking in the late 90's and early 00's. watch your prop,she may not hold huge walleye but she has no shortage of huge shallow rocks. :shock:
getdanet
Participant
Participant

White Lake

Post by getdanet »

I fished White Lake a few times back in the late 80's. Did pretty well fishing Pike and Smallies. Like you mentioned nothing was ever that big, but was still alot of fun.

We always went around this time until early June. Should we expect to target the same type of fish?

And did the Splake that were introduced survive?

Thanks in advance!
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Raminator wrote:as far as walleye go,your not gonna' find huge fish,but bennett and pickeral bay have some good shoals,and drop offs,also birch and ross islands can hold fish. alot of people aren't aware of splake stocking in the late 90's and early 00's. watch your prop,she may not hold huge walleye but she has no shortage of huge shallow rocks. :shock:
I've been to White Lake more than a dozen times, and only ever caught Walleye once. But it must have been 4-5 lbs... My biggest.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Raminator wrote:as far as walleye go,your not gonna' find huge fish,but bennett and pickeral bay have some good shoals,and drop offs,also birch and ross islands can hold fish. alot of people aren't aware of splake stocking in the late 90's and early 00's. watch your prop,she may not hold huge walleye but she has no shortage of huge shallow rocks. :shock:
I am extremely curious as to where you found the Splake stocking info.......I've heard of our government doing stupid things before and wasting our hard earned tax dollars but....putting Splake in a lake that is barely 30 feet deep is nothing short of retarded!!! I think there is some confusion and the Ontario Back Roads map book is the culprit...it's clearly a different White Lake.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

I actually just read this too in an old book with maps of the region... It made me think of this post...
JasonT
Participant
Participant

Other fish?

Post by JasonT »

I read on several other sites that there are trout in this lake.
Can anyone confirm this?

Also it there are, what jigs/baits work for them in the winter and where on the map do they hide?

:D
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Been here a bunch of times, I've never personally seen a trout.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Old Map

Post by smitty55 »

I know that an older hydrographic map I had of White Lake showed Musky being stocked back in the old days . I'd have to try and see if its still about to check dates etc . Don't recall anything about trout though , but that's way before the 90's . Cheers
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Old Map

Post by lapointeric »

smitty55 wrote:I know that an older hydrographic map I had of White Lake showed Musky being stocked back in the old days . I'd have to try and see if its still about to check dates etc . Don't recall anything about trout though , but that's way before the 90's . Cheers

Musky in White Lake would be fantastic... but I haven't seen one. Fun to think one day... BAM... and the drag starts screaming....
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Muskie and Trout in White Lake.... :shock: .....I've also heard rumors that there's been sightings of sasquach near there....

Conquistador......what's your gut feel regarding the above 8)
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

I've called the MNR a while ago in regards to splake stocking in White LK.Was told no such thing. Has to be a mis-print in the Mapbook because I can't find info anywhere else...but maybe the muskies ate them. :shock:
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Heya Guys.. I finally looked for that map and found an old 81/2 x 11 photocopy of the top part of a 70's fishing map from the CP Ministry office. It shows lots of lakes with a fish symbol and a letter in it to denote the fish species present . It also has the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority boundaries with a big checked line thru the map . I have 3 headers at the top part above the map that I have on my sheet that are Dunks Lake, Broadbrook Creek and White Lake .

So the White Lake one goes "..Darling Twsp ... 5608 acres... one of the bigger lakes in the CP district .... Muskellunge were introduced in the lake in 1968 as the first of a 5 year program....A small population of the fish may still exist "

there u go ....but someone would have caught one ...........right?

be nice to have the full map too ..cheers
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

So maybe.... Juuuust... maybe, there's a big lunker down there just waitin' for the perfect moment to strike....? A man can dream....