Bark Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bark Lake

Post by Bobber »

Lake Description:
I'm afraid I don't know much about Bark Lake nor can I find any good information on the web. If you have information that you're willing to share on the description of this lake, please <a href="mailto:bobber@fish-hawk.net">e-mail to me</a> and I'll update this description. Thanks.

Species:
I know there are Lake Trout and assume also Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass. Other than that, not sure if there are Pike or Walleye in there.

Getting There:
From Ottawa, take the 417 highway west about 72 miles towards Cobden. Once approaching Cobden, turn left onto Cobden Rd, which turns into Route 60. Take Route 60 towards Killaloe, past Golden Lake, proceeding towards Barry's Bay and the Madawask Valley. From that point, there are several routes you can take to head into the Lake. I'm not quite sure where you can launch, so recommend you do some homework until I get some more feedback that I can add here.

Have you fished this body of water? If so, tell us how you did and where you had success.

Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cast-A-Way »

Hi Bobber

My Cottage is in that area so when I get bored of the lake I drop the boat in there.

I fished there quite a bit last summer and I access it from CR 523 just before Madawaska. There is a launch at Millennium Park ( free )

I usually go for Bass in Hay Bay ( very secluded and peaceful ) it has about 8-12 feet of water in the summer Time.

I have also fished Bell's bay for Pike.
There are deep pockets in the southern part of the lake if you wish to try for Lakers.

Very scenic lake and fairly good fishing.
Due to It's connectivity to the Madawaska system you can do a whole lot a fishin'

I do have a map at the cottage with all the depths and some fishing Tip's
You also have access to smaller lake via boat only.

you can PM me if you wish more info.
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cast-A-Way »

Here is more info on the fish found in there !

Lake Trout:

Bark Lake is famous for its Lake Trout. They are most plentiful in the Spring, May and June, when they are on top of the water and can be caught with a light line. During summer, July and August, the Lake Trout are found in 60 feet of water and a steel line is advised. In the Fall, the Lake Trout return to the surface.

Pickerel/Walleye:

Pickerel/Walleye were introduced into Bark Lake a few years ago. They are doing well and have become very popular. 1999 produced record pickerel catches up to 14 lbs.

Bass and Pike:

Smallmouth Bass is one of the most exciting fish to catch. Bark Lake catches are up to 5 lbs. This fish is fun for all ages.

Largemouth Bass and Pike are both found in Cub Lake and are plentiful and exciting to catch. Cub Lake is a small lake which can only be reached by boat from Bark Lake.
Fish'N Magician
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'N Magician »

Hello All,

I cottage in the area extensively and am quite familiar with Bark Lake. Here is some information which may be of use to some of the board members. Walleye can be found at the top end of Bark Lake in 10 to 15 fow where the Opeongo River (i believe) flows into Bark Lake. Smallies can be caught around Chapleau Island. The largest smallie I caught from there was a scrappy 3 pounder. Not huge but fun. The area around these islands has a lot of rock shelfs and scattered boulders so if you are using tube jigs be prepared to lose a couple. Sand Bay also holds a few smallies by the tiny island and where the creek mouth is.

Hope this helps
BassPro72
Participant
Participant

Bark lake

Post by BassPro72 »

I fished bark lake a little over a month ago and found that the little cove east of beavertail island was great for largemouth. I caught 6 in about 15 casts using a 1/2oz pearl big-o, the biggest bass being 2.5lbs-3lbs. I found this lake to consist of mostly submerged trees and stumps and very little vegitation and many many drop-offs. Definately a fun lake to fish!
miketyson986
Participant
Participant

Post by miketyson986 »

Useful post..............thanks for sharing helpful info.
donhogs
Participant
Participant

Re: Bark Lake

Post by donhogs »

You're not kidding Bobber ,the information on Bark Lake is ridiculously hard to find if at at all. But thanks to the members , you guys shed a little light on the situation . Thanks again