Remember Me
Hide Me

Top Posters this month

Main Menu

Total posts 339196
Total topics 40051
Total members 7524
Our newest member alessiomarkz

Everything and anything you want to discuss that is non-fishing related. Wish your friends a happy birthday or write a congratulatory note. Thank someone for helping out. Introduce yourself....whatever you want.
  • Supported By...

Postby smitty55 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Just to get you going lol. I had fresh fiddleheads sauteed with leeks tonight. Oh so good.

Those are from last year, and about 4 days later than now from the look of the ferns and tree leaf out. I've been eating wee ones for 10 days now, but they were not bulbing at all and were hard to pick. After the heat and moisture this week things have picked up nicely, and it's worth getting out now, at least around here. North of here is likely behind I would think and south a few days ahead.
So for a reference, I would say there's maybe another 10 days at most of picking around here before leaves start turning yellow. Trees are really leafing out now which blocks out sunlight to the leaves.

For those that forage for them I always strongly promote proper picking of wild garlic. It is a valuable and fragile resource that is easily decimated by over harvesting and poor techniques. Did you know that Allium Tricoccum can be 30-50 year old plants? They should never ever be dug up, ever, for the most part. There won't be a leek growing there again for a long time if ever. Only picked. Don't pull straight up. By snapping the bulb off of the root stem and surrounding root structure, the rhizome like underground system remains undisturbed. There shouldn't be very many roots attached. It's real simple for me, if I can't pick it, it stays in the ground. And I always keep moving to spread my picking, and only take some out of the clump, leaving most of the bulbs there. When I go back the next year it should look like no one was ever there.

I recently came across this excellent article. A real good read. The study actually refers to this area a few times. http://www.stlawu.edu/sites/default/fil ... vation.pdf

Of course leeks are a unique culinary experience that has no parallel. Back in the 80's we were getting custom beef sausage made in Cheneville QC. We supplied the leeks, and the results are astounding. I still do it locally. There really is no comparison. But for the last 7 years I've been making a a compound butter with leeks that enables year round use of the flavour. It is absolutely one of my favorite uses of leeks now. 4 pounds of butter, 1.5 lbs of chopped leeks, herbs... I base mine on this http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008 ... tters.html Breakfasts rock just to start the day! :) Freeze it in logs and use all year long.

Straight shooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: leeks

Postby CBB » Sun May 15, 2016 7:16 am

Very nice write up and educational for all that harvest leeks. They have pretty much cleaned them out of my area with shovels and taking them for resale.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Postby Maple » Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks for the seasonal update Smitty. I was out last Wednesday and picked enough for a fresh feed. They were a pretty good size.

Man they are tasty.

Had a bunch with spicy shrimp last night and still have some left to fry with mushrooms today.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Postby Gord » Sun May 15, 2016 8:35 am

Got a good feed of fiddleheads off our property last week, but sadly, no leeks were found. :cry: :(
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"

Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Return to Non-Fishing