Fly fishing trout near Ottawa

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Fly fishing trout near Ottawa

Post by tinboat »

Hi guys,
I've just started to get into fly fishing. I would love to go for trout somewhere not too far from Ottawa. Could anyone point me in the direction of where I might start? I'll be wading and hoping not to drive more than 2 hours-ish. Hoping to stay in Ontario for now.
Also, what time in the spring do people typically begin wading and fishing for trout?
Thanks again!
Silas
S
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Re: Fly fishing trout near Ottawa

Post by swampsinger »

Its going to be tough to target trout within 2 hrs and not leave Ontario. I would try for panfish and crappie once the ice goes out of the Rideau locks. They cooperate a lot more than trout, especially for a novice. Smallmouth are also a good option once the season opens, they are a blast on fly gear.
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

swampsinger wrote:Its going to be tough to target trout within 2 hrs and not leave Ontario. I would try for panfish and crappie once the ice goes out of the Rideau locks. They cooperate a lot more than trout, especially for a novice. Smallmouth are also a good option once the season opens, they are a blast on fly gear.
I'll give that a try first, thanks for the suggestion. The only fish I have caught yet on the fly rod was a fallfish. Once i get a bit more experience, maybe will plan a trip somewhere in New York.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Well.... Caldermac just posted that he is catching trout in Deschene Rapids - (WOW) - That's kinda rare though.

There are LOTS Of lakes within 1 hour of Ottawa if you are happy to fish from a boat or from shore. YOu can also target a number of creeks and streams. Checkout the government of ONtarios "Fish Online", it's a wonderful tool for exploring potential trout spots.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Motebello is an option if you want to pay.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Calabogie area for sure just refer to the Fishing Ontario site and plenty on the quebec side just refer to the Allonspecher.com website.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

emeraldpirate wrote:Calabogie area for sure just refer to the Fishing Ontario site and plenty on the quebec side just refer to the Allonspecher.com website.
Note, don't use www.allonspecher.com that doesn't work.

You must use "carte.allonspecher.com" to access the maps.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Not trout, but you'd have no issues getting into Panfish at Dow's Lake on the fly.
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

I'll check out the calabogie area online. Trying to stay on the Ontario side for now, but may do Quebec in the future so the fishing map site will be useful.
Thanks for the pointers!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

scarkner wrote:Well.... Caldermac just posted that he is catching trout in Deschene Rapids - (WOW) - That's kinda rare though.
Hope he knows the season doesn't open till the end of the month...
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
troutfishing
Participant
Participant

Post by troutfishing »

There was definitely a way to do this on the fly, and that with a little effort I could be holding one of those monster trout as well. Fly fishing on the twizel canals is completely different from most fisheries in the world that I’ve been too but it is very similar to still water fishing, so I knew this could be done.

WINTER FISHING
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Post by threeparrots »

What about Clyde River? I've read bits here and there saying so, and the MNR site says it's stocked with Brown and Rainbows.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
cgreene
Participant
Participant

Post by cgreene »

Good luck on your search! If youre planning on wading for a few hours, you should invest in a some good waders. Fly fishing is a lot easier if you have good waders. If anyone is looking for the best waders, you should visit this website for more information.
Last edited by cgreene on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

just go look at mnr list. of where they stocks trout,,,,many not that far.

look for the same for quebec side mnr list
an dont look just yhis year print yourself the last 5 years min. it will guive a good idea,,,,,its not all lake but a start.

good luck

joco