Howdy Folks!

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
beadhead
Participant
Participant

Howdy Folks!

Post by beadhead »

Boy am I slow on the uptake (hookset?)

For sure I'm working too much. I just sat down for a quick breeze through the boards, when my buddy Todd mentions the FFF forum. What the heck is that?

Yippy-kay-yea! We finally get our own room. Must be teenagers now!

So here's my question for the entomological experts:
As I was driving today (ok, I was coming home from playing hooky this morning at the golf course), I noticed a black mayfly bouncing around in the window next to me. About a size 16, this little guy (girl?) was completely black everywhere but the wings, which were a dull gray. I played out at the Nation today, so I assume it came off the Nation River.

I've never seen a completely black model. Of course, there are many things I've never seen...

Can someone give me the particulars on this wee beasty?

Thanks, Geoff
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Geoff,

Might be a Blue Winged Olive.

The following site provides the Ontario hatch chart:

http://www.fishontario.com/fly-fishing/ ... frame.html

Cheers,
Todd
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

One of the brookies I caught on the weekend had an all black bug in it's belly. One of the ones the skim/swim on top of the water?

Any flies out there like it?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

BASSSTALKER,

If it had 4 legs you're looking at a Water Strider. If it has two legs and swims upside down you're looking at a Water Boatman. As for tying them, there are patterns available for both.

Todd