Flying walleyes

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Flyboy
Participant
Participant

Flying walleyes

Post by Flyboy »

Waded between Hogs Back and Clareton this morning, tossing a wooly bugger hoping to only catch legal fish. Anyway got into 3 eyes quickly, so I left.

HOWEVER(!!) there were large eyes jumping the whole time, I mean like nothign I've ever seen on a river, lake, bathtub, etc. I thought eyes stuck to the bottom? I'm a rookie on that species, and I know there has been some talk on dry flies for eyes lately. Anyway just below the overpass was where these guys were jumping for something.

I'll be reseraching a good dry fly for eyes before this weekend, if anyone beats me to it hopefully they can share.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

They've been known to hit topwater plugs so I'd suggest a pencil popper, etc if you want to target them on the surface. Otherwise I'd continue using the buggers, clousers, etc.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I fish'm topwater more times than I do with anything else :wink:
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Leader

Post by Bass assassin »

Hey there, What do you use for a leader? I am new to fly fishing for species with teeth, so any help would be appreciated!! Were you wading or shore fishing? In either case, did you park at Hog's Back?
Thanks!
BA
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bass assassin,

I'm using 18" of 14lb Fireline as a leader, tied onto some 14lb mono. Last season I wasn't even using Fireline and didn't have any problems with the eyes or pike that I did catch. If you really want wire, Berkely makes a plastic coated wire that can be tied like mono. Tyger Leader is also a coated wire, however it's probably 4 times the cost of the Berkely stuff.

With respect to Hogs Back, fishing the big pool can be difficult with spinning gear given the current flow rate. You're better off fishing downstream (wading) . If you're fishing between Hogs Back and the bend before Carleton you can park at Hogs Back. Fishing at Carleton, I like to park at the University and wade across the top of the rapids (assuming it is safe), rather than hiking all the way down from Hogs Back.

Todd
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Walleyes

Post by Bass assassin »

Todd B.
What length of mono do you find best for turning over the fly/tippet?
BA
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

BA,

I haven't tied any leaders up yet but I'll probably keep them in the 5-7 foot range depending on the thinkness of the mono and the size of flies I'm using. Since I'm typically fishing sub-surface I'm not overly concerned that the flies turn over perfectly. I'm just going to be stripping the flies back in anyways

Todd[/code]
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI ALL

I never caught a walleye on fly,never target them.........

would love to try it this weekend if the weater permit it,,,,, :?

what the best combination...off line and fly,,,,,,

floathing line or sinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wooly booger,,,,closer,,,,,,,,anything helse,,,

i will try the rideau,,,sound nice a nice place,,,,,,,,,

i might go wit the p,mo, guys for pike in aylmer in those bays or eye,,,,on the rideau,,,,

so many place to go,,not anaught time,,,, :o

is there a lot off curent over there,,,on the rideau,,,,,,,

ever try at black rapids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on fly,?

joco :P
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Joco,

The water level on the Rideau is pretty good, only about a foot above summer levels, and definitely wadable in most places. If you're fishing the Rideau you should be ok with floating line as it's relatively shallow, though there are some deep stretches and pools. If you're using weighted flies you should be able to get down to them. The eyes will also move up into the shallower water in the evenings.

For pike I'll be hitting the shallows so floating line works fine.

Black Rapids produces a lot of eyes, pike and muskie, though I personally haven't caught any fly fishing there. I've had a number of nice eyes using spinning gear. You can wade out off the lower tip of the island for quite a ways. There is a nice 3' drop that runs along the edge.

Cheers,
Todd
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

I would use a larger fly "size 1/2 took keep off those darn rock bass! There on the shoreline in hordes.