PIKE ON THE FLY

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

PIKE ON THE FLY

Post by Jigs »

OK, I'll admit it. :shock: All the pike I've caught fly fishing have been incidental catch while fishing for bass, crappies, walleyes, etc.

Needless to say, been bitten off more often than not.......knot too :roll:

I noticed on e.bay a tie-able wire leader which appeared less cumbersome than regular leads.........Anyone ever used em - heard of em??

I just don't use a wire lead fly fishing because they are a right pain in the butt :shock: ..........the guides too.........(sorry)

Teach an old puppy a new trick willya?

pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

got some of them this year. they look like they will do a good job on those pike. when i have been casting in my back yard this winter for practice ( wanted to see how they handeled)i really couldnt tell the diffrence between that and just straight mono. IMO a good choice. also i will be trying florocarbon as a tippet as well this year and see if it makes a differnce.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Jigs,

There are two products on the market that I know of.

TyGer Leader (tie-able nylon coated stainless steal leader)
Berkely Steelon (tie-able nylon coated wire)

TyGer is probably the better of the two but it's also 3 times the price of the Berkely Steelon. You can get Steelon at Sports Action and TyGer Leader at the Orvis Green Drake.

Myself, I'm using 14lb Fireline as a leader this season.

Todd
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: PIKE ON THE FLY

Post by Mikey »

Jigs wrote:
I just don't use a wire lead fly fishing because they are a right pain in the butt :shock: ..........the guides too.........(sorry)

Teach an old puppy a new trick willya?

Kevlar leader material :wink: :wink: ...been using it for years for both pike AND Musky...easy to tie....available in several sizes....and I have yet to have one bitten through....this stuff is basically indestructable....and very easy to cast...even on a fast sinking tip...

Mikey
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Thanks all.

Gonna get me some.

Watch me not get a pike hit all year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah well........ :mrgreen: