Wader question

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Wader question

Post by Bass assassin »

Anyone?
I bought a set of waders with neoprene booties. I use my float tube a lot, and swim flippers. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for wading boots. I went to Lebaron the other day and looked at some of the ones they had. Looking for an inexpensive wader to get by for the spring and fall. Any suggestions?
Flyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Flyboy »

As for cheap...you can't beat a large pair of cheap hikers from Walmart....add some felt and you're set. Sounds funny, I know a lot of guys around here seem to wear actual wading boots, but out west I saw much more hikers. If you're planning on walking much to and from streams, blowing through cheap boots ain't a big deal.

If nothing else it's a quick fix.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

BA,

Since you already have the waders just get a pair of boots to go with them. Last time I looked at le Barons they only had one style to choose from. Unfortunately they didn't look like they would hold up to the rigors of wading around here. I would suggest checking out the Orvis Green Drake as well as Sports Action. Once you have the boots you can always pick up neoprene booties to wear if you want to wet wade without your waders.

Todd
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Agreed with Todd, try to find either a thick cleat if you plan to trek muddy areas, but other than that if you plan to walk mainly in the water a pair of felt soled boots is always the way to go!They tend to help avoid slippage in the water, and though great in the water, felt soles dont like slick muddy areas out of water :wink: Best bet is to go get a cheap pair of hiking boots(I mean cheap) for travel until the entering of water.

Hope this helps, F.F
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Don't wade much at all, so if you're only doing a little in safer places, might I suggest just heading to Zellers, or Walmart or somewhere like that and buying those shoes that have no laces but the elastic like material on the top part of the shoe. You know the ones I'm talking about??? They just slip on, but they're like a sneaker, and more like those neoprene type shoes you'd wear around a cottage or out in a boat or on the seadoo. They dry quick. They're cheap. They have one with decent enough treaded soles. They slip off and on. Buy one size up, that's what I did to wear them with my neoprenes and breathables when travelling to a put in for my float tube. They're also lightweight, so just hang 'em off the tube if you're exit is not the same place as your access.

Later
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Waders

Post by Bass assassin »

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I took out an old pair of hikers and used them. Went up to Hog's back today and had no luck. My first time in any flowing water though. I had a blast. Only fell in 2x!! HAHA! I am definitely looking for felt soles. Can you get a pair of boot insoles and glue them on, or is there an actual felt sole to be found at one of the shops in town? I did see 2 smallies gettin it on in the shallows on the high side of Hog's back. Can't wait for Bass season!
Thanks,
BA
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

BA, You can get a set of soles to glue on to the bottom of your feet, but I have seen them come loose more often than not, and for the 20 or so$ you will spend, save a few headaches, and a few more bucks, and grab yourself a pair of felt sole boots.

I have seen them from anywhere 50 to upwards of 200$ per pair.Get something in the 75-100$ range and your all set.You can also get a canvas, or leather boot.The leather may stand up a little longer, but I have canvas, and have had them for over 5 years, and trust me I do alot of walking :lol: :lol:

Canvas, Browning, Streamside

Leather, go with Choda's(These are brand names of the boots.)

T.L F.F
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Floats even got a set with flippers for when he goes for his swims. :D :D :D