Madawaska highlands - question/partner

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Squib
Participant
Participant

Madawaska highlands - question/partner

Post by Squib »

Morning all,

Having set the goal of finally catching a trout on the fly rod this year I set about doing some research as to areas I can find some. It would appear that rather a lot of water in the Madawaska highlands regions (specifically streams and rivers) holds some - at least according to the Ontario land use department. Most of the land above Madawaska Provincial Park seems to be undeveloped crown land and fairly freely crossed in getting to a location. Which brings me to a question:

- Has anyone ever done any fishing in this area? If so, is the data at all accurate? Not asking for directions or locations just a general idea. Would this be a complete waste of time?

on another note - I plan on making a few hiking/fly-fishing trips up there in the near future (May/June possibly July). Anyone interested in coming? I have all the backcountry gear that we could need, and a canoe as well as the 4x to access the logging roads.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

If you live in Ottawa and want to catch a trout in a stream or river do yourself a favour and buy a NY license. For the same time and distance it is to Hydes Creek you can be to on the Salmon, Chateauguay. St Regis and any one of a dozen creeks.
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

Thanks much Ganman.

I know, the only thing is I am alway a bit nervous about going over the border. Done it a hundred times but still - too many horror stories I suppose. I am in Kemptville so only about 20 minutes from the border.

A good friend of mine's parents have a campground near Lewis NY that we stay at a few time a year. Are there specific vendors for licences in NY state or are they available all over?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Don't be intimidated crossing at Ogdensburg or Cornwall. Most of the foks there are locals and are really friendly. I never get bothered and find them very pleasant. Sometimes I get the impression they are a bit embarrassed by all the new BS they have to go through. After all like me they grew up with the people across the river. A woman at Ogdensburg was so embarrassed and beside herself when she saw a couple of corned beef (mad cow) sandwich's and fruit (cental america) in my cooler. She called me to the back of my vehicle and whispered if I get caught with the food she never saw it....she was embarrassed and uncomfortable. I told her to take the food and smiled and joked about it......I wanted to make her feel better.

Now the TI bridge is another story. The customs folks there are no longer mostly locals and could be dropped in from Texas or god know's where. I suspect things are heightened there because it is a major commercial crossing. Last weekend I had dinner across the river and folks over there I've known for years who depend on Canadian trade, have friends/family across the river and come and go regularly aren't impressed and see alot of the crackdown as nothing more than a symbolic waste of time and money.

So cross at Ogdensburg or Cornwall. The Walmart at Ogdensburg or Kmart in Malone have licenses. Within a 10 mile radius of Malone you'll find many streams. All have lot's of public access. Look for the brown wooden signs with yellow lettering designating fishermans access areas. You'll see them along Rte's 37, 11 and 30.

I recommend you purchase a New York state Gazetter Top maps Atlas. Sells for about $15 US., its invaluable. You can get stocking lists from this link. Look for Franklin and St Lawrence Counties. Find the streams and towns(townships) on the topo maps to cross reference them. Within a half hour of Malone are more and much stream trout opportunities than the entire Madawaska Highlands. If you don't succeed at first keep at it. If you are the only ones fishing don't be suprised. Often I have the whole river to myself.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwm ... kintr.html
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Its really sick when the yankees have to show us canucks how to do fish stocking and conservation. MNR should be embarrassed. Fortunately for BC fishers where I am from, it is not the case. I don't think MNR is even aware of the situation. At least this is the impression I get when I tell them that some fisherman don't even consider fishing here. I don't have the time to travel that far so I keep trying locally and haven't done too badly in the 12 years I have lived here, especially fly fishing for bass, pike, etc.

bobfly :(
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bobfly, eastern Ontario including the Madawaska area just dosen't have the geology (soil and rock) or the gradient condusive to have many good trout streams especially ones larger then Eastons or Hydes Creek which are not really worth the effort to fly fish. It's a totally different situation across the river. In Ontario you won't find much in the way of trout streams until you hit the Oak Ridge Moraine (Cold Creek, Ganaraska, Wilmots etc.). The beginning of it is the big hill you see just west of Trenton.

But New York State does a good job with stocking and providing access. Ontario dosen't stock much but where there is sufficient interest they have done a great job with conservation (the Grand, Credit and Humber Rivers).
beadhead
Participant
Participant

Post by beadhead »

First, I have to say, Ganman is right on the money with the border info. I'm a fairly recent transplant from the States to Ottawa, and a frequent flier at the border stops.

I've tried every crossing from Ogdensburg west, including both options in Windsor, and in Sarnia, and Ogdensburg is consistently the best place to cross BY A MILE! I'll make a significant detour in my route just to cross there.

But this is a fishing forum isn't it? Enough travel tips. My question:

Ganman, how much is a non-resident license in NY? Any special add-ons required for trout water?

Thanks.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

$40 for a non resident. If you want to sample first before you buy a license the state does provide free fishing days. The 2005 free days are June 25,26 (sat and Sun) no license is required on these days for residents and non residents.

Here is a link for public fishing locations on trout streams in NE NY. Also there are many more public streams on state land that are not stocked.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5 ... index.html
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

ganman wrote:Don't be intimidated crossing at Ogdensburg or Cornwall. Most of the foks there are locals and are really friendly. I never get bothered and find them very pleasant. Sometimes I get the impression they are a bit embarrassed by all the new BS they have to go through. After all like me they grew up with the people across the river. A woman at Ogdensburg was so embarrassed and beside herself when she saw a couple of corned beef (mad cow) sandwich's and fruit (cental america) in

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwm ... kintr.html
Thanks for the tips! I suppose that I may as well suck it up and get down there. A bit more practice and I should be good to go. Don't want to spook the fish with a bad cast, especially if there happen to be other people on the river at the time.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Squib you won't see hardly another soul. It's like this; locals almost everywhere don't fly fish and with so many streams in the state, particularly the beautiful Ausable a hour to the south not many visiting fly anglers come way up here.

If you go: Very Important!

You need felt soled boots and should have a wading staff on bigger water. The rivers are swift and rocky.

Odd as it may sound these rivers are best fished with a dry fly. Anything that floats well. Flies that incorporate deer hair/animal hair work best. I like Haystacks an old Adirondack favourite in sz 12,14,16. I tie them in tan, grey, cream and brown. You also should never go fly fishing in the Adirondacks without an Ausable Wullf. It just ain't kosher.

Here is a link to tie the Haystack. They are easy, simple materials. Don't worry about being too neat. The flies originator, Fran Betters ties probably the sloppiest flies going but they very effective.

http://adirondackflyfishing.com/flyofmonthmay.html
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Flyin'

Post by Legend »

:) First off, it's 100% true what Ganman say's about the folks on the NY side of the river. They are top shelf! I met a guy in Denver two years ago originally from Massena NY. When he found out that we were from Ontario he couldn't do enough for us. :D

As far as stocking goes. I heard from a board regular that Ontario and NY have a reciprocal agreement in place. They stock the Salmon and we stock the baitfish.

I was by Hydes creek last week... And yes, I was drooling.

:) Legend
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

Ganman, Sorry about the delay in response as I am just now getting through the information you provided. NY State really has it's act together when it comes to fishing!. I think I will be planning a few mid week excursions down around Malone as soon as my new gear shows up.

Thanks a million for the fantastic info!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Let me know when you're going. I'm available most Wednesdays if you want company. If not I can give you more specifics on what would be hatching and where to go on the rivers.....even where to get a good burger.
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

I certainly will. I am hoping to take a day off around Wed, thursday next week if all goes well at work.