Lake Ontario Trib Fishing

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lake Ontario Trib Fishing

Post by Legend »

:) After work on Friday a colleague introduced me to the world of Fly Fishing. :D

I had no idea of the intricacies of this particular discipline but I am a quick study. After suiting up and deciding on the stream strategy we were off and running.

The stream is a well know fishery with a strict C&R policy as well as an artificial lure with one barbless hook regulation in place. (as if this wasn't tough enough)

So we decide on a brown Caddis fly for me, and Fred takes a cray Caddis fly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... res032.jpg
The stream is a challenge for a beginner as it is relatively confining but magnificent non the less.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... res034.jpg

A short while later we were into some Specks and even a couple of small Bows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... res035.jpg

The fishing was a little off today even though it looked like a hatch was starting. The producers were the brown caddis fly and a dry white fly. Watching these fish hit topwater was a ton of fun! :D

A big thanks to Fred for showing me the ropes. I never had so much fun or exercise in my life. :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... res033.jpg

:) Legend
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

very nice legend! :lol:
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Tryin to make a poor man jealous :lol:

Legend, just amazing shots!!!!!!

Great too see!!!!!

F.F

P.S Fall trip is still on!!!!!!!!!!!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Hmmmm.......Upper Saugeen, Beaver or Credit.....am I close. Amazing how central Ontario streams all look similar. Nice gentle riffles overhanging cedars.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Seeing green Legend. Green world you fish and the color of my envy bud.

Hope to do that someday soon.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Beautiful pics......I know its not it but looks alot like the stream I learned how to fly fish on.....Cold Creek northwest of Belleville.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The river

Post by Legend »

:) Well you know because it is a small river I'll keep it under wraps. Suffice to say it does see some pressure and there was evidence that the place has been hit with bait fishermen and even poachers. We found the leftovers of a non-MNR stream net. :roll:

Anyway Ganman you are indeed in the zone and it was a ton of fun. I avoided posting pictures of some of the most amazing pools ever. I was in awe, and I can only imagine what may have been in them.

These deeper pools presented a challenge. What fly would you use on a 15' - 20' deep pool at the base of a rapids / elevation change?

The fall trip is a go FF and Bunk no worries, it'll be green up there soon.

ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I'd leave them alone and concentrate on riffles and runs until just before dark. Presuming no insects were hatching then I'd tie on a streamer and strip it as fast as possible just under the surface (fly anglers buzzbait). If no takes after a dozen casts let it rest for 15 minutes then crawl a deer hair mouse over the surface. If you went back after dark use a big black wooly bugger, wooly worm or wet fly.....something that pushes alot of water (vibrations). Trout are not leader shy after dark. You can use as heavy as 10-15 lbs. Some of those little creeks have browns 5-10 lbs. You'll need it if you hook one and there are obstructions. Sure ain't classic trout fishing.

Are you sure those pools are that deep.....
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Legend »

:) Sounds like combat trout fishing Ganman. :D

My good friend found out about the giant unseen Brown the hard way last week. He nearly had a heart attack! :lol:

Believe it or not, the pools can get that deep. These pools have been there for a long time and some of them are in fact, man made.

Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

very nice !!