Adirondack adventure

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Adirondack adventure

Post by ganman »

Squib and I made it down to northern NY last week. We fished the famous Ausable River in the afternoon and then drove up to the Saranac River in the evening.

Beautiful day on the drive down great views of the mountains until we got to the Ausable and it started to rain. Lost a couple dandies in the fast water. Bought some stonefly nymphs in the fly shop and the bite of the hook was just too small to hold a big trout in fast water. One trout Squib and I got a good look at was 18"+.

We got tired of the rain, humidity, crawling over and around boulders, so we moved up to the slow water to take it easy. We both caught a whole bunch of smaller browns in the rain. Next we drove to Ausable Forks where the sun came out and we got a few more including a 15" rainbow that fought more out of water more than in it.

For the evening we drove over to where the North Branch Saranac meets the South Branch. We were hoping to catch a green drake or grey fox hatch and really clean up but the flies were scarce and rises were scattered about. We did manage a few though but the bigger ones were not too active.

I gave Squib a tour through some pretty remote and desolate country on the trip home. A kindly trooper caught me doing 50 in a 35 through a sleepy hamlet. He let me off with a "have a safe ride home boys."

Soon as I figure how to post pics I'll do so.

Next up a trip to the Black River and West Canada Creek......as soon as the humidity breaks.
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

You forgot the swimming lessons ganman!

It was a great trip, beautiful country up there.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

good report ganman, sounds like a blast. My friend and i are planning as fishing trip to that region eg marble,chateguay,ausable salmon and saranac. Cant wait to get some browns!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sounds like a great trip!....Can't wait to see the pics.... :)

RJ