Sink

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
fly fishing canada
Participant
Participant

Sink

Post by fly fishing canada »

[color=darkred]I recently got a brand new scientific anglers full sink line for my birthday, and have some questions on how to fish it. I have always wanted to have a full sink, because i fish mostly deep lakes for bass and pike, but can't really get down to them. Now I can, and want to know how to fish it propperly. I have heard that a sink line should not be casted too far, because the stress can break your rod tip. I have also heard that a sink line should ideally only be trolled, which i do not plan on doing. I want to fish this line properly, so i have it for a long time, but i want to be able to cast it distances and retrieve it through deeper water. How can i do this, or should i even be doing this? Any ideas or facts would be apreciated.[/color]
Big Fly
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fly »

I use sinking lines 90% of the time and so far I did not break any rods.
And they are definetely not only for trolling. In fact full sinking lines cast much better than floaters because of their smaller diameter. You just need to keep it from falling back to the water when retreiving either on your boat floor or stripping busket/stripping apron. You will not be able to pick up as much sinking line from the water as with the floating line and you need to retreive it pretty much up to the rod tip. If you need to get a relatively long portion of the line out of the water fast, use one or two high roll casts.
To get your line to required depth just count it down after the cast. Sinking rate is indicated on the package and it gives you pretty good idea how deep is the line after 10/20/30 etc. seconds. If you snag the bottom, then reduce the count on your next cast. Then you just start to retreive it. Depending on the retreive speed the line will either continue to sink, stay at the same level, or go up. That's pretty much it. Good luck.