RIDEAU RIVER JULY 14/05

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

RIDEAU RIVER JULY 14/05

Post by Jigs »

Kinda slept in.........again :roll: (bitch bitch bitch :!: :!: ); an it was hot.

Too hot to cut the grass, so decided to take a trip to my favourite bridge across the RR.........my favourite that is, when it's not inundated with fisher folk, besides me of course. :shock:

Didn't get there till 10:30 AM. There was a nice breeze blowing up river, and lo and behold the bass are rolling at minnows about 50 ft. downriver. Kind of surreal; come here at 6:AM; nothing.....come in the evening, nothing :!: middle of the morning, bright sun, less than 6 ft. of water, and the smallies are on 8) too cool.

I guess they had a school of tads cornered and were givin em hell, so tied on a muddler , and proceeded to really give the tree behind me a workout :x :x ..........SETTLE DOWN says I. :lol: :lol:

Once the adrenilin calmed a bit, I chucked a mud past the fast water where they were and worked it back, downstream and up into them..........as in batman.........KERPOW :!: :!:

Some were big, and some were small, lost the first four, and brought the next 3 to hand, popped the hook and lettem go without any air around them. Then, like that, they quit. They either got wise to the fly, or the bait got tired of bein et and left. No more swirls, and they wouldn't hit anything else I threw. Tried a home made crayfish fly retrieved very slowly........NADA :!: :!:

Just a few yards behind me, the world was going about its business, cars passing, dogs dogging, etc., and for about 3/4 of an hour, its like another world, just me, the river, and the fish. Nothing else is even there.........Twilight zone. Anyone else ever feel that way?? Guess I better stay on the meds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best regards:

Jigs.
Last edited by Jigs on Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Jigs,
I know exactly what you mean! A truly beautiful experience right in the city. Great report.
Bass Assassin
P.S. Stay off the meds...they will kill ya.
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

I know excatly what you mean, I took one of my buddies, who i head been promising to go fishing with for a while, on wensday (right before the big storm hit) to the rideau and he couldn't get over the fact that we where fishing in the middle of donwtown basically. We had a blast. Got my buddy into some decent fish, caught most of them on a white bunny leech streamer but at the end of the day he decided to put a big weedless mouse pattern on, third cast and bam another 2 pounder, i couldn't beleive it.