Blakeney and Appleton

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Blakeney and Appleton

Post by bobfly »

Fished Appleton on Sunday and got in a few casts at Blakeney (Mississippi River) on Monday PM and very little action. Right up until the last week (when I was at Stratford), it has been very good. I'll have to take Todd's advice and switch to minnow immitations and get down deeper, mind you at Appleton you can't get very deep or you are in the weeds.

bobfly :(
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bob,

I think the cold weather has knocked the SM down somewhat. Assuming the weather is nice this weekend like they are forecasting I think the SM bite will be pretty good. The walleye bite is definitely starting to pick up down at the tailouts as well. I managed to fish the back tailout the other weekend and had a blast...very nice water, but it's quite the wade/scamble to get to.

Cheers,
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Todd,
I guess you are walking across the stream at the tailout and wading in there. Right at the bottom on the Pakenham side it is quite deep. I made a few casts there a week ago but no hits. Today after I quit work at 5PM I got a nice 2# at the bridge on a weighted P-quad.

bobfly :wink:
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bob,

Actually the one I was talking about is reached by wading across at the top of the rapids, then down the back channel. There are actually 4 separate channels. The main flow separates into two tailouts at the north end (reached via the path). The other two flow east. The one closest to the bridge flows down into a pond which connects at the bottom of the other (east) channel, which then flows north into another tailout that is isolated from the two at the bottom of the path.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."