Ottawa Flyfishers Society Events '06 (Updated)

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Ottawa Flyfishers Society Events '06 (Updated)

Post by Todd B. »

For those people interested in the Ottawa Flyfishers Society but have yet to come out to a meeting, I've listed the current OFS events through to May. For more information about the OFS go to http://ofs.ncf.ca/

03 Jan
General Meeting
Presentation - Fishing for Steelhead on teh Salmon River, NY (George O'brien) (Awsome presentation!)

17 Jan
Fly tying Night - The Beauchene Smelt <- update

07 Feb
General Meeting
Presentation - Ekich Bobbin and Flyfishing for Char (Faruk Ekich)

21 Feb
Fly Tying Night - The Black or Brown Kaufman Stone

07 Mar
General Meeting
Presentation - Brook Trout Tactics & Labrador Flyfishing (Len Rich)

21 Mar
Fly Tying Night - The Hexagenia and Drake Extended Body Mayflies

04 Apr
General Meeting
Presentation - Peacock Bass & Florida Fishing

18 Apr
Fly Tying Night - The Bunny Split

02 May
General Meeting
Presentation - Line Handling and Fishing on the Credit River (Bill Christmas)

16 May
OFS Open House
Last edited by Todd B. on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

thanks for the info todd, you will probably be seeing me at the next meeting. Looks like a good place to improve my tying skills.

thanks,

mike
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I joined the OFS this week (I'm the new member, Todd). The welcome I received was very friendly and many members made it a point to welcome me personally. I recognized several members since I'd seen them at Greendrake, brown trout stocking, or on the water.

The meeting itself was upbeat, positive and fun. As well, I managed to connect with a couple of members who do conservation work with other organizations, and with members who invited me to fish with them in the future.

For those of you who are already fly anglers but not members, OFS can be a great place to network within the flyfishers' community. For those who are interested in learning more about flyfishing, the OFS is a great place to start.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

Todd,

What time do the meetings start?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Northernfly,

The meetings are scheduled to start at 7pm but people tend to arrive 15-20 mins early to socialize, purchase tying materials, etc.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

Thanks Todd. I should be good for the 17th.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Northernfly,

Note that the 17th is a fly tying night as opposed to the monthly general meetings.
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

So how does a tying night work ie, everyone particpates?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Yes everyone participates. While it is an OFS members event, feel free to come out if you're planning to join. There may be a spare vice at the clubhouse but I'm not sure for certain. Eveyone typically brings there own vice and materials, though materials are always provided by the person that is presenting the fly pattern for the night. Everyone usually kicks in a a couple bucks to cover material costs if used.

Cheers,
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

hey todd, i'm very interested in joining and will be there on flytying night....can't wait sounds like alot of fun.

mike
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Thanx for the info Todd. I had planned on starting in Jan but something came up that night. Hope to see you all in Feb though.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Just a heads up that this month's presentation has been changed due to scheduling conflicts. This months presentation will be Brook Trout Tactics & Labrador Flyfishing (Len Rich). Should be fun...gotta love Coaster Brookies!
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

Todd for the meeting next tues (mar 7). Can a friend and i attend? as we are both looking to learn to fly fish this year.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Samsquanch,

Currently the seminars are reserved for OFS members. Last year we had a few open seminars that had a nominal participation fee. I will speak with the rest of the executive to see if we can open the last seminar (Advanced Nymphing) to the general public for a nominal fee.

If you're interested in joining, feel free to attend. If you're not quite sure my suggestion would be to attend the OFS Open House. You'll be able to meet a number of the club members, see what's going on and ask all the questions you might have.

If there's any particular questions you might currently have feel free to post them.

Cheers,
Todd