Hatch charts

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hatch charts

Post by bobfly »

I went to Flyfish Ontario to check out their hatch chart for Stoneflies and the chart is no longer available. Anyone here know where a chart may be found?

bobfly :)
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bob,

I found this one, though it's not as good at the FlyFish Ontario chart.

http://www.grindstoneangling.com/hatch.html
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bobfly,

early black stoneflies - April sz 12-16

little Green - May and June sz 14-18

Goldens - early summer sz 6-10 as nymphs all season long

little yellow sallies - may and June then Aug evenings sz 8-14

Giant black - late spring/summer sz 2-8
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hatches

Post by bobfly »

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply....not much happening these days. I guess one has to add a couple of weeks for us in the colder regions especially up the Highlands. One of us should really make our own hatch chart for this region.

cheers,

bobfly :roll:
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

bobfly

I'd be interested to know how the hatch differs up here in eastern ontario as compared to the south so anything you could add would be appreciated. i live closer to the Rideau River but spend a fair bit of time fishing up in the highlands.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I have a hatch chart for southern Ontario on PDF. Personally, I'd add a week or two for the dates listed. Please PM me with your e-mail & I'll be happy send it to you.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Not sure you were aware but no stoneflies in ponds. Trout streams in eastern Ontario are so small they don't add up to many stones or anything else other skeeters and black flies. You would find plenty of stones in the Ottawa rapids, Mississippi, Madawaska etc.. smallies eat the nymphs.

Hatch charts for anywhere are useless in eastern Ontario. Any of the ones you see posted are for rivers. The only stream in E.O. that you could fish a worthwhile hatch on is Cold Creek and even it is as far west as Brighton. An eastern Ontario trout pond is a different thing altogether. You can get some info from Adirondack ponds that is relevent. The timing is about the same also.

I have tried to compile some semblence of what insects are found in EO ponds. The list is quite short. It's not that there are not many bugs but more a case few variety. I have been renovating and not sure where I put that info, when I find it I'll post it here.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I do know the MNR was stocking the Bonnechere near Eganville with browns, not sure how they have faired. Likely the same as browns, bow's in the Clyde, browns in Lyn Creek and Bolton creek....all efforts pretty much failed. Although I see a nice brown in the pic section that is titled "Lanark brown".
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Given what is said here, I guess the best approach is to bring a lot of flies with you or even your tying kit and see what is there. One of my tying books suggests lifting up some shore weeds and see what crawls out (and hopefully doesn't bite you).

bobfly :lol:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bobfly you can do quite well with just a few simple flies.

A #16 Adams (a #16 Adams catches trout everywhere). There are little gray mayflies that hatches mid day to evening as spring progresses, its called a callibaetis they are in all ponds and the Adams works fine but a little gray Comparadun or Dark Hendrickson might work better. You need some caddis too but not bushy ones that you use on streams. A plain sparsely tied soft hackle wetfly works good for caddis or any emerger. If your very lucky you may encounter the occasional pond that has a huge mayfly called a Hexagina. Nothing works perfect for them cuz they are so big but a long shank #8 tan Comparadun is a good place to start.

Those weeds are full of dragon and damsel fly nymphs. A small (8,10), skinny anemic looking olive Wooly Bugger works ok imitating damsels. A fat black, brown. peacock Wooly Worm imitates a dragonfly nymph OK. The damsel swims in quick spurts like a minnow. The dragon bumbles along.

A fly I always carry in case the trout want something small is a small Griffith's Gnat and a Light Cahill incase its something light coloured. I carry some gaudy wet flies for brookies and black/brown wooly buggers and some streamers in white, yellow and orange. (Black Ghost, Mickey Finn, etc.)