Scully Lake

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scully Lake

Post by bobfly »

Tried Scully on Saturday. Lots of bugs on the water: mosquitoes, few caddis and what looked like Cahills with prominant white wings. But nothing coming up to eat them. I was told Scully would be good in early Spring but no brookie action. Anyway, I thought I would try for some of them super sized perch which always hang around the shore. Usually, they are not interested in any flies but I had on a sparkling pupa trailed by a "Despair" nymph. It was great to see a couple change direction and follow my duo. Then there was a great tug like a log hitting my line, I saw the flash of its side and gone, both flies. And to think I put on a brand new 6X leader. No more. I'm making mine up again, either that or use 3X - too heavy?? BTW, caught 2 bows at Lower Twin the weekend before.

bobfly :roll:

Next outing to Limestone. Anyone been there yet?
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bobfly, the "standard" rule regarding tippet size goes like this....take the size of the fly and divide by 3. Example hook size #12 by 3 = 4x. Although this has everything to do with the leader turning the fly over properly than the actual fish size. I've fished for picky brown trout on glassy smooth water from hard fished famous American rivers and the only time I usually went down to 6x was when I was using a #20 or smaller fly. I always found it more important for the fly and leader to lay out properly.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Bobfly,

I spoke to one of the cottagers last year and he told me that the fishing in Scully had declined in recent years. :wink:

Of course, the guys in the canoe fishing with minnows took a limit within about an hour. Scully takes quite a pounding all year because it's so accessible.

The thing that flashed past your fly could have been a smallmouth bass. There are lots of them in there....good sizes, too! I actually only fish Scully for the bass these days.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

I haven't had a much of luck on Scully as well. I was able to catch only one brookie for the last 5-6 year (this would exclude other species)
Apparently there is some nice4 size of brookies
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

She was stocked again on Apr 28th.... hopefully the Smallies left em alone this time but who knows.

Cheers,

Rich