Twin Lakes, Renfrew

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Twin Lakes, Renfrew

Post by bobfly »

Lots of fishers out today. Hey, maybe they are reading my posts! I doubt it. Caught a few small ones on an emerging sparkling pupa as shown on Gary LaFontaine''s video. These pupa patterns have been my best producers this year. I'm ready to bring it in to the club so inbox me if you want it.

Fishers on Upper Twin reported catching lots of tiny brookies so they must have stocked already. This lake gets cleaned out regularly so I would wait for them to grow a little.

I can't believe some of these guys taking home 8, and 10" bows. Must have lead shot for brains. Takes all kinds, I guess. At least I found out they are eating shiners.

bobfly :roll:

(If I find a good lake with easy large trout, I'm not telling!)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Count me in for the sparkle pupa, Bob.

The Twin Lakes routinely have about a half dozen or so anglers, mostly the worm & bobber crowd. They're nice little bodies of water and the trout usually come out to play, especially for fly anglers.

Nymphing the drop-offs at either end of Lower produces well as does trolling a streamer. Upper Twin is a little trickier because it holds brookies. They seem to take dries well in fallen wood but only if conditions are ideal.

I'm glad these lakes are well-known because it keeps the riff-raff happy and away from places that I like to fish. (12" brookie on a 4wt with #16 brassie....fat and sassy and happily released - fish and angler!)
Time's fun when you're having flies.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Maybe now you are understanding what I'm tring to say about happens when too many poeple are informed about easily accessible trout lakes ! I've been fishing that area for at least ten years now and I've found many lakes that hold good populations of trout and not just little 6&8 inchers either! I've introduced a few poeple to some of these lakes and they have promised never to name the lakes hear on fish-hawk or any other message board for that matter! It's one thing to share tips, techniques, etc. but why name the lake?? If you do happen to find a lake that produces good, do you really want to tell thousands about it?? Think about it!!! Oh ya I almost forgot it's the ice fishermens fault :roll: Maybe you need to get skunked a few more times and/or reduced to catching fresh stockers before it starts to sink in... Seeing as how you like to name these fragile little lakes on the net, that guarantees I will never share them with you :wink:
PS give Johnny Yorkregion a call I'm sure he'd love to go fishing with ya :wink:
adam h
Participant
Participant

Post by adam h »

i got into an argument on this board about stuff like this before but nobody cared an jus said it was a put an take fishery. So basically what ppl are saying is keep all the trout an they will stock them again. soo its doesnt matter if a billion ppl know. truly i think thats a lil **** ** myself!
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

OK, OK, I get a little carried away when discussing ice fishing. I've been flyfishing since I was 10 and I'm having my 60th birthday this year, so I've been around a bit, but ALWAYS willing to learn more. Yes, it was a little unethical for me to try for bass off season (I release all) but you wouldn't believe what I have seen over the years and the worse of it has been out here in the east over the last 15 years since moving here. Targetting salmon (legal) in the maritimes when all they want to do is spawn and likewise last year on Wilmot Creek guys scooping 5 salmon a day by tangling eggs in front of their nose on their way to spawning. I witnessed an oriental family take out close to 50 bass on the Mississippi a few years back. I reported them

I was trying to think of a hunting equivalent to ice fishing and I think I have it. Put out some deer ration in the middle of winter (like I do at our house) when they are starving, then gun them down (no guns here).

Out west (and let me be perfectly clear here, they have their problems and cutbacks too), they designate sensitve lakes fly-fishing only or artificial lure, no motors and NO ICE FISHING. Some of these are stocked lakes with little or no spawning - no different from our lakes. The lakes are monitered by the fishing clubs and miscreants reported. The clubs do a lot of stream restoration as well. I would say that some of our lakes in the Highlands are actually superior to most of those out west in terms of feed and water quality. So we could have the same or better. I had a client who had a private lake near Dacre, stocked it and the trout grew large fast but the cretins who live in the area cleaned it out, even though posted private. All you have to do the enforce the regulations is fine a couple of guys a thousand an infraction, seize their SUV and word would get out. They do it on the Grand River and there are hardly any infractions. I guess they are worried they will get shot out here in Cheryl Gallant Land.

I better stop before I get steamed up again. As far as posting info on lakes, I think it is perfectly fine to do on these lakes which are two minutes from the highway and well known. I grew up in Kamloops and the newspaper reported all the main lakes, what flies to use, who caught what, etc. They had lots of fishers out and if you were good, you caught too. Twin Lakes are two of MNR's best success stories. Heavy stocking and heavy fishing and you can still catch a few. I ain't gonna stop but like I said before, I'll happily release info on the really good lakes to those individuals I know who catch and release. What goes around, comes around.

cheers,

bobfly 8)
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

>I was trying to think of a hunting equivalent to ice fishing and I think I >have it. Put out some deer ration in the middle of winter (like I do at >our house) when they are starving, then gun them down (no guns >here).

Bob,
It is pretty sad to say, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Period.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

OK Mosquito, lets take the same ice fisherman and plunk him in a boat in exactly the same location as the hole in the ice but during the summer when the fish have more choice of what to eat and see how well he does. If fisherman could only fish during ice-out, we might have excellent fishing here, tourist dollars, tackle shops, maybe even guides. Why do you think Quebec hovers over its lakes? Unfortunately for us, MNR is focused on Toronto and area as officialdom does with everything else. Its all about numbers, I guess. And speaking of numbers, I am catching more fish than ever so what does that tell you about what I know. I don't report everything I do on this board. I just would like a few new-comers not to have to wait as long as I did to figure things out in this potentially great fishing area. Tight lines to you.

bobfly :)
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Sorry have to back up Bobfly a little here. I get alot of pm asking me where I fished and anybody who has asked will tell you I turned them down Nicely. :cry: The fact is I was given my first trout fishing experience in my life on these lakes by an old friend and good buddy of his who gave him his first trout there. These lakes and there location are already well known and are great starting place for people interested in the sport. MNR studies put and take lakes and stocks them accordingly hence it is fished heavy but still provides good fishing. The best thing with these lakes is that they provide protection for some of the smaller or more fragile lakes. More people fishing these also means ministry will push more money and effort into stocking lakes as it generates income from fishing and tourism, which is what Bobfly is talking about in the Kamloops. Also helps to keep some of the lakes that you really dont want mentioned CLEAN. Have only seen 1 person in last 5-6 trips to other lakes thanks to more public lakes like these. A lake just down the road has restrooms and parking, not very secret if you ask me. :roll: Sorry if I offend anybody. Just my 2cents.
Calabogian Childs
Participant
Participant

Re: Twin Lakes, Renfrew

Post by Calabogian Childs »

Hello fellow fisherman. Just curious if anyone here has had any interesting sightings on the lower lake. Back in 1997 in mid may I have for the only time ever in my life witnessed something very odd in and partially out of the water along the shoreline one morning while cooking on an an open campfire. I have been told of a few stories by different people over the years certain strange events that have happened and have afeeling more people have seen what I have seen yet not talking about it. We have been up there with our underwater camera and all I have to say this lower lake is very unique. The upper lake is I intriguing as well and soon will be exploring that location. Good luck fishing guys and maybe someday may even see you up there 😊
Attachments
Screenshot_20220905-111407_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220905-111407_Gallery.jpg (678.66 KiB) Viewed 2507 times