calabogie area

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
tristan
Participant
Participant

calabogie area

Post by tristan »

Hi All,'
I'm thinking about fishing the small brookie lakes, like the Green, in the Calabogie area this Monday. What's the best way to do it? Can I wade? Should I rent a canoe? How about float tubes?

Thanks.

T
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

If you can get a canoe or float tube thats the way to go. Most of the lakes pretty small. I use a float tube alot up in that area.
tristan
Participant
Participant

canoe

Post by tristan »

You're not kidding. I opted out of the canoe, but I could have used one. The lake bottom was silty and had holes in it, as I found out when I stepped into one and filled my waders. Nice.

All in all, it was tough going. The back roads have been trashed by rain and churned up by ATV's - they are impossible for a regular 2wd. You need 4wd here. I got stuck once trying to turn around and had to hitch back to town to get a tow. The lakes are next to impossible to find - I got lost, even with the backroads mapbook. 1 hour of fishing and 3 hours of BS.

The thing about trout fishing is that it's easy in places that are hard to reach, and hard in places that are easy. Ummm, when does bass season start again? :roll:

Thanks to Gord at Bits for the stocking info and the tips - I can't say i wasn't warned... Also for that spot you recommended on the Mississipi. I chucked the spinnerbait you sold me at it and it yielded a pike, on like, the 2nd cast! Should have just stayed there all day.
Last edited by tristan on Tue May 23, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

tristan,
all you said is pretty much true. Took me about ten years to realise this.
>3 hours of BS.
what is BS? Backrioad Scouting?
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Tristan,

Check your messages....
Time's fun when you're having flies.