Walleye Help needed

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Walleye Help needed

Post by Bass assassin »

Hey gang,
I have NEVER caught a walleye and am really interested in landing one this summer. Does anyone have any tips on lures to use? what type of leader rig up do you use? (I noticed the other post earlier about walleye leaders but wondered what some of you use for connection to fly line and power pro). Also, I am looking for some spots to try. I have been to Hog's back in the past but found the water too fast. I remember Todd saying something about the pools higher up on the Prince of Wales side of the falls. I have been thinking about trying Blakeney as well. Any thoughts??
Craig.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Craig,

First off, just a reminder that Blakeney doesn't open till the first Sat in June. As for leaders, I've never had an eye bite me off, though if you're still concerned you can tie your own leaders with an 18" bite guard of say 30lb power pro. Be sure to use a double-Uni knot to connect the mono to the power pro. I also use a simple snap on the end rather than having to tie on my flies.

As for locations, well with the water levels as high as they are it will be tough anywhere. Locally I would suggest the Jock River Landing until the levels drop.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Thanks Todd. I wasn't sure if the regs stated up to the top of the falls at Blakeney or below them as well? I remember you saying something about pike at the pool towards the back.

As for leaders, do you tie the 18 inch power pro to what length of mono?
Thanks again.
BA
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

BA,

I believe the restricted area is from the falls in Almonte to the county road 20 bridge in Pakenham. Once it's open, give the drop offs at the tail outs a shout if the water levels are safe.

I'd definitely give the back pond a try for pike when it opens next month. Just hike your tube down from the east side of the bridge.

Here's a link to a leader calculator if you want to tie up your own leaders http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/brleadercalc/

I think the last set of pike leaders I tied up used 17lb mono for the butt end (36"), 12lb mid section (24") and then the bite guard (30lb) of power pro (18"). Since you're typically tosing streamers you don't need a long leader, nor does it really need to be tapered. Keep it short (5-7'). If you want to fish it deep use a sinking/sink tip flyline.

As for flies, just try to match what they're eating in terms of size/colour. Clousers, woolly buggers, zonker minnows, etc.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."