An Evening At Black Rapids

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

An Evening At Black Rapids

Post by Todd B. »

Well we decided to try the Eastern side at Black Rapids this evening to make up for the time lost to the crap weather last week. I waded out almost to the first waste water wier without even a bite, thoug I did see what I suspect was a big carp jump.

Wouldn't you know it, while I'm wading out along the dam, my wife decides fo move downstream and hooks into something big. Well here I am trying to get over to her as fast as I can without going for a swim. When I finally get over to her she's got a big butt smile on her face and a nice 14" OOS SM. Seems she's starting her season off well.

A few casts later and I'm into a nice scrappy hammer handle, then a few jumbo perch. Standing beside me she casts her fly out about 15' into deeper water and proceeds to hook another 2lb smallie.

Before calling it a night I decide to give the deep water along the face of the dam another shot, hoping to hook into some walleye. Bang! fish on....another slab of a smallie and time to pack it in for the evening.

Given that the smallies were not caught on beds I'd have to guess that they were pre-spawn fish that had the feed bag on. In any case I'm looking forward to fishing the East side again, hopefully for more eyes and pike.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
tristan
Participant
Participant

damn!

Post by tristan »

Nice one! Sounds like a perfect evening.

Too bad I work nights. It can be a nuisance at times.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

What were you using, Todd?
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Tristan,

Just hit the water in the morning, besides you won't have the evening crowd to contend with in the urban locations.

Fishboy, flies of choice were olive/dun woolly buggers and black clousers.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."