New York Brown Trout (pics)

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

New York Brown Trout (pics)

Post by ganman »

Today I went down to a small creek in New York State. This creek has wild and stocked browns. When I got there about 2:30 there was a sparse hatch with a few big March Browns (#12) and either smaller Light Cahills or Grey Foxes (#14), dosen't really matter because both are so close in appearance - tan/yellow in colour.

I found a nice run that had a nice gravel bottom and a long riffle flowing into a nice deep run, the opposite side deeper with a bit of wood for cover. The shallow side I cast from had a few high tufts of grass that I was able to use for cover. The whole stretch was about 100 yards long. As the afternoon wore on the Cahills started hatching more frequently - not heavy just steady all afternoon and evening.

I fished to risers and worked up and down the whole stretch. I must have caught maybe 15 browns from 10"-14", some wild, some stocked, all released. They were still plenty of trout rising when I pulled out for another spot but I think it's poor ethics to fish the beejeezus out of a place just because you can. Even if you release the fish.

I moved to a downstream looking for bigger trout with no luck. Moved to another spot and caught a half dozen more before I called it a night around 8 pm. Maybe I could have caught a big one had I stayed but I had a good day anway, besides I was out of Cahills.

A couple pics of the stretch I fished.

Image[/img]

[/img]Image

A couple browns.

[/img]Image
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Lovely browns, Ganman.....looks like a nice stretch of water, too.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Beauty browns Ganman!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Those trout were caught on a 3 weight and most jumped several times. On some streams I fish the browns jump alot on others seldom. One stream I'll try to get to soon has wild rainbows that jump like crazy. Brookies rarely jump.