Edmonds Locks

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Edmonds Locks

Post by Fishboy »

Went to Edmonds Locks on Hwy 15 south of Smiths Falls yesterday. I went because a friend of mine routinely catches pike there and I wanted to see if they'd take a fly. The short answer is no, at least not my flies. I trolled and cast big poppers and streamers and managed only a nibble.

What was really cool was the schooling carp at the base of the falls. They looked like they averaged 10 lbs with some that must have topped 20 lbs. Every few minutes, one would leap into the falling water like a salmon heading for its spawning grounds. I tubed over to the small island at the based of the falls, parked, and tied a nymph on to my 9wt. Wading gingerly, I cast into the falling water and let it drift through the current. After 30 minutes, one baby sucker, one perch, and one smallie later, I decided to "rest" the water.

Only caught pan fish, but it was a beautiful day on some very nice water. Next time I'm going to try the weed edges about 100 meters above the falls.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp in the rideau

Post by cockney carper »

Hi fishboy
Its interesting to hear that the carp are that far up the rideau, sounds like they were gathering ready to spawn.
Perhaps you will have more luck catching one next time!
If you are interested in learning more about carp fishing, we have a carp day at caigers 1000 islands saturday 3rd June, see my posting.
tony
aka the cockney carper
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Thanks for the heads up, Tony. Will you also be giving info on carping on the fly? I flyfish exclusively (it's just more fun to me) and I know that there are techniques I have yet learn.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Give your zonker minnows and bunny leaches a shot (Black, Olive, white/red). A mouse pattern around the reeds works too. ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I was nymphing by casting directly into the falls and allowing my fly to drift down. I probably should have brought out something a little larger than a #10 stonefly. Might take a look at the base of the weir at Black Rapids to see how the carp are there.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Hey guys,
I was down at Hog's Back yesterday and saw 7-8 carp swimming above the rapids on the East side of the river right beside the road. These things had shoulders on them that were 6-8 inches across :shock: . I couldn't believe their size. Make sure you take a heavy rod if you are going after them.
BA
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp on the fly

Post by cockney carper »

hi Fishboy
In my opinion its difficult to fly fish for carp because they normally feed from the bottom, and only rarely take from the top - but maybe we could come up with something between us!
Try and give us a call on 613 387 3260 about saturday.
tony
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Tony,

Fishboy was actually nymphing rather than using a dry fly. As for carp on the fly, fishing for them is definitely invovles visibly spotting them and putting the fly in their feeding path. It's not coincidence that the best fly fishing action for carp is in the spring when they are in shallow water.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp on the fly

Post by cockney carper »

fishboy
that would make a lot of sense, if the water is shallow.
have managed to float bread on the top of the water and have seen them take that when they are on the top.
sounds interesting - must give it a try!
tony