Disaster at Lower Twin Lake

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Disaster at Lower Twin Lake

Post by bobfly »

Last weekend I thought I would try one of my favorite lakes for rainbow and that is Lower Twin (as you all know). I was horrified to see that the water level was down 4 or 5 feet. The weed beds at both ends are now on dry land and there is an ugly perimeter of dead weeds. It seems the beaver dam has burst OR deliberately dug out. Being almost level with the highway which is nearby, I assumed it was done by the Highways Dept as their couldn't be any reason for MNR to do it. OR it simply burst as beaver dams sometimes do.

I called MNR, Pembroke to get last years stocking list. It is not on-line. And asked to speak to someone about it. They forwarded me to their "biologist" who said he knew nothing about it and would send over an officer. He expressed some dismay.

Regardless, I still landed 3 bows, the largest being 12-13 inches and had several hits in the course of 3 hours fishing. The best fly was a brass coned black wooley bugger and on top, Bob Neuman's Spent Partridge Caddis. Actually, I got a lot of action on the Caddis. It's always nice to get dry fly action.

I'll report if MNR calls me back. I feel bad for those guys. Their budget keeps getting cut. It's going to come down to clubs and private enterprise to keep up our fishing. That is certainly the way it looks.

bobfly :shock:
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Bob,

A 12" bow from Lower Twin isn't half bad! Surface action is a bonus. I've seen a little caddis action on a few of the lakes I've fished lately, too. Something that has been working for me this spring has been fishing emerger patterns and small nymphs at or just below the surface. It's really nice to see a speckled trout roll to take the fly.

The dam blow-out is weird. It sounds like a person did this since beavers would try to strengthen the dam.
Time's fun when you're having flies.