Surface Specks

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have fished the Grand a few years ago and I had a very good weekend despite what everyone said about the river been blown out and unfishable. Being a vet of ADK streams (which are about the toughest streams to wade on the continent) wading the Grand even in high water was like strolling down the sidewalk. Funny but a long weekend in May (prime time) I had it all myself.

That weekend (May 24) it rained and snowed (sort of like this year) but I had great fishing. I was told by the experts under the conditions I needed a sinking line and big streamers. I tried that and ended up a big zero. So I thought if I'm gonna go fishless I'm doing it my way so I clipped off the streamer and the sink tip and went with a beadhead nymph and no weight. Presto! a nice 14"er. I had a pretty good afternoon on the nymph and as luck would have it in the middle of a freak snowstorm there was a Hendrickson hatch and because of the cold the flies couldn't get off the water and ended up in back eddies where a pod of huge browns were poking there snouts up sipping them in. The whole affair was barely noticeable if I had never seen the same thing on the Black River.

Those trout were a piece of cake and I hooked more huge trout that day then would be believable. One I fought for 15 minutes and I simply could not land, took me into my backing, I couldn't even get close to it. I did land some trout in the 20" range. That afternoon is burned in my head forever.

When I travel to fish often my wife comes with me and we look for interesting pubs, restaurants, scenery and places to stay. The towns of Fergus and Elora are great that way. I did not find them overpriced - just the contrary. Wellington County where they're located is the micro-brewery capitol of Canada. The only downside and it's a big one is having to drive through Metro TO to get there. Not likely driving thru sleepy upstate NY.

One place I was very dissappointed in was Rosoe NY which is supposedly a fly fishers Mecca. The streams are great but the village is a dump and it sits right on top of the interstate.

There are great little sleepy places in Northern NY to go. One of which is not the Ausable BTW. I do recomend anyone who fly fishes to go there though as its beautiful.

My favourite place to fly fish I've visited was Vermont.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Ganman, I'm a moderator on another site that is based in Toronto. They always post about the Grand. It is interesting to note that given its proximity to the largest population center in Canada, many people report what you did about having water all to themselves.

Kudos to you for ignoring the expert advice when it wasn't working. That's a lesson I've learned in flyfishing - if it isn't working, change tactics.

While I have never flyfished Vermont, I have travelled throughout most of it, including a visit to Orvis' headquarters in Manchester. It is stunningly beautiful and they have some of the best fishing waters on the continent.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Excuse my ignorance but what is an ADK stream? One more question: Todd mentioned to me once that if you are fishing in NY you have to have special boots or at least something strapped on your boots and that it is a regulation.

Another item on the Grand is the website that gives you the conditions, hatch and the flies you need, although some locals have told me that those flies recommended may not be the best, even some comments that they should be the last flies you should use (noting ganman's experience above). Anyway, here it is: http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/R ... erinfo.htm

Its supposed to be nice tomorrow so I will be off.

bobfly :P
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

bobfly wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is an ADK stream?
I believe it is a stream in the Adirondacks....New York state.......Vermont
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Sorry Bobfly...Tip up is correct ADK is short for Adirondack. Yes it is absolutely neccesary if you're wading a Northern New York stream you need felt soled boots...BUT it is not a regulation. Also I really recommend some sort of wading staff (walking stick). As I said those streams are as difficult as they come. Learning to get used to fishing with a dangling staff takes some getting used to but after a while it's no big deal. That being said there is on most streams some sections that have sand/gravel beds and are easier to wade.