Proper Fly rod and line

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
LostFisherman
Participant
Participant

Proper Fly rod and line

Post by LostFisherman »

Hi

Is there anyone that could give me any tips on fly fishing for Brook(Speckle) Trout rods and lines? I presently have an 8 foot 5 power rod setup with 5 wieght double taper floating line and a 8 1/2 foot 6-7 power rod with 6 weight wt forward line. Will this work for Ontario Brookies or should I use something else? I will be going over around the west side of Thunder Bay and maybe up by Nipigon in 2 weeks. Also could you recomend some flies I should carry along with me and in what sizes. Most of the stuff I have now is for panfish and bass down here in the central U.S.
Thanks in advance for any help.

gone8to1248@yahoo.com
P.S. I have never fished for Brookies before.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

If you are going to fish Nipigon you better get a very fast sinking line (at least class V). You will be fishing very fast and deep waters with heavy streamers. Forget about floating lines and dry flies, all action will be very deep under the surface. Your 6-7 WT rod is marginally suitable, but I would suggest going with somthing a bit heavier, say an 8 WT/9 ft. For flies you may stock some imitations of sculpin - Muddler Minnow, Marabou Muddler Minnow, Wolly Sculpin, Zoo Cougar in sizes 2-6.
Good luck.