Hog's Back, Champlain - Aug 7

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Flyboy
Participant
Participant

Hog's Back, Champlain - Aug 7

Post by Flyboy »

IT WASN'T EVEN FAIR!!

I lit up the smallies big time. Kept the clouser on most of the day, the action slowed with anything else, so I kept it on. Fished hog's back in the morning, just below the two sets of rapids above the Heron bridge. Around 10 SM in two hours. All around 12", great fights. (Regarding barbless, which I just posted, the small ones fall of really easy, the big ones are along for the ride. Barbless rules!).

Fished Champlain in the afternoon, the Ottawa side of the island, above the rapids but below the bridge. Similar action to Hog's Back, many many 10-12". Which was good because I had an audience. That's the trade off with urban fishing I suppose, you don't get "out of the city" but you also don't waster commuting time.

Saw many fishermen/women yesterday, no one on the fly rod. And while I'm biased, my rod looked waaaay more fun than theirs.

- Pat
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

We missed each other at Champlain - I was there from 9 AM to 1 PM. I stayed mostly on the Ottawa side rapids and did very well. The water was a little higher than I expected, but many areas were still safely accessible.

Most of my fish were around 12" but I managed a few nicer specimens.
Time's fun when you're having flies.