Limestone

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Limestone

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Just to let you Lime lovers know.. if ya didn't already, she was stocked with 6500 fingerlings 3 weeks ago :wink: On another note was there today fishn tubes for largies, and talked to a bunch of lads comin out and on the lake and zippo bows were caught.

Cheers,

Rich
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

I have fished Limestone for over 10 years and have never caught a bow there but I have seen them caught on worm. Usually big fish, just like much of the bass. I think with lakes that have both bass and trout, the trout head for the deep holes. I like going there as it is a pretty lake, except when the wind is blowing.

bobfly
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Is there a way too drive to Limestone without 4 wheel drive? The marked road is too rough for my Sunfire.

PM me if you wish...

Thanks, Buzzer

P.S. I'm new too fly fishing, but love it, so I most likely won't catch much except for some great scenery
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Uh.....I used to drive up there in a Tercel.......is the final part of the road that bad now?
Time's fun when you're having flies.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

The road is pretty bad now. You do need a high clearance vehicle but only for the last part (uphill).
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

I used to drive up in the accord as well, way to rough now for a low clearance vehicle, the ministry is up to speed on the significant ammount of pressure the lake receives, hence the massive stocking ammounts. And no offense to anyone who owns a 2 wheel drive vehicle but I hope the road gets worse :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

bobfly wrote:I have fished Limestone for over 10 years and have never caught a bow there but I have seen them caught on worm. Usually big fish, just like much of the bass. I think with lakes that have both bass and trout, the trout head for the deep holes. I like going there as it is a pretty lake, except when the wind is blowing.

bobfly
I was on the shoreline where the camp is late last fall and saw "many" bows in the 3 to 5lb range in 2 to 5fow, unfortunately they also saw me :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Rich
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

I was talking to one of the lease holders of the camp which BTW has been going on since the 1930's and they spent $1300 on the road recently. I have seen a lot of 2 wheelers at the top and then some just stay at the bottom and walk up. Its OK to park at the camp as it is closer to the water. The "trout" you see close to shore are really bass. You can tell by the lighter coloured tips of the tails. Fishing from shore, you place a worm a foot off the bottom. Jigging also works. I have heard of people catching bows on a black woolley bugger but I have only seen them caught on worm. Anyway most of the lakes are too warm for trout right now and they are just sitting in a cool spot waiting for cooler water temps before they go wandering too far. I suppose if you have a finder and place something on their nose, you might get lucky. I think you have to go much farther north for active "big" trout. The smaller ones (8-10") are still biting. They never stop feeding and I think they can handle the warmer water.

bobfly :)
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

bobfly wrote:I was talking to one of the lease holders of the camp which BTW has been going on since the 1930's and they spent $1300 on the road recently. I have seen a lot of 2 wheelers at the top and then some just stay at the bottom and walk up. Its OK to park at the camp as it is closer to the water. The "trout" you see close to shore are really bass. You can tell by the lighter coloured tips of the tails. Fishing from shore, you place a worm a foot off the bottom. Jigging also works. I have heard of people catching bows on a black woolley bugger but I have only seen them caught on worm. Anyway most of the lakes are too warm for trout right now and they are just sitting in a cool spot waiting for cooler water temps before they go wandering too far. I suppose if you have a finder and place something on their nose, you might get lucky. I think you have to go much farther north for active "big" trout. The smaller ones (8-10") are still biting. They never stop feeding and I think they can handle the warmer water.

bobfly :)

Hmmm, no offense there skip, but I said I saw BOWS in 2 feet of water, in Late Fall??? Does this equate to largies my good man?> I don't think so, And by the way I know the difference between a rainbow trout and a largemouth but thanks for the info :roll: :lol:
adam h
Participant
Participant

Post by adam h »

I have also in the fall seen the bows cruising right by the rock suspending off bottom. I seen 3 last year around the 2-5lb range. An trust me i know they were both myself, enough years of steelyfishin on the belt!
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

No offence intended on mistaking bass for trout as I have heard bows repeatedly mis-reported. This is GREAT news! When you guys say late fall, when precisely? I'm determined to get a rainbow at Limestone....nice clear water and pretty scenery as well. If you don't get a trout, there's always large bass and perch crusing around. Last year myself and another floater were zeroing in on a large bow chasing minnows on the surface but neither had any luck.

bobfly
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

There are some big bows in Limestone...I routinely see them jumping around me while I fish for them from my float tube. The lake is big enough for many fish to survive a few seasons and they are probably a little line shy as a result.
Time's fun when you're having flies.