Browns in Ottawa, Fall Salmon Fishing

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
MrJams
Participant
Participant

Browns in Ottawa, Fall Salmon Fishing

Post by MrJams »

Hey folks,

I'm a long time angler, but recently picked up fly fishing.

I've fished the Ottawa a handful of times at Bate Island (Champlain) and have caught a bunch of smallmouth, but haven't had any luck with Browns.

Just wondering if anyone else on the board has had better luck this summer. I haven't fished the Deschenes Rapids yet, but I've heard it can be productive - any comments? Fly patterns that work?

Also, I'm looking to do some salmon/steelhead fishing this fall and am considering a trip to the Ganaraska, Wilmot Creek, or maybe upstate NY. Does anyone know if the runs in Port Hope have started?

Thanks in advance - and great forum.

MrJams
JVE
Participant
Participant

Port Hope

Post by JVE »

The salmon have been running over a week ago. Personally, I have not been down there. I have only seen pictures of some of the salmon caught via some folks I know who are from Coburg.
MrJams
Participant
Participant

Re: Port Hope

Post by MrJams »

JVE wrote:The salmon have been running over a week ago. Personally, I have not been down there. I have only seen pictures of some of the salmon caught via some folks I know who are from Coburg.
Hey JVE,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I dropped by Wilmot Creek at the end of August (not fishing just looking) and there were fish in the creek mouth. Might make a day trip to the Ganaraska this weekend.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

MrJams,

The browns congregate on the Quebec side mainly in water that is accessible by boat. You'll pick up the occasional one in the wadeable sections. People are successful by drifting nymphs with the current, by high-sticking nymphs, and fishing with dropper rigs. Stoneflies, GRHE, olive wooly buggers, and conehead muddlers all produce. A 4-wt or 5-wt with a 9-ft leader is adequate. Dusk appears to be the best time of day.

You can join the Champlain Run Trout Club stocking program by visiting Green Drake Outfitters on Holland Ave.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
MrJams
Participant
Participant

Post by MrJams »

Fishboy wrote:MrJams,

The browns congregate on the Quebec side mainly in water that is accessible by boat. You'll pick up the occasional one in the wadeable sections. People are successful by drifting nymphs with the current, by high-sticking nymphs, and fishing with dropper rigs. Stoneflies, GRHE, olive wooly buggers, and conehead muddlers all produce. A 4-wt or 5-wt with a 9-ft leader is adequate. Dusk appears to be the best time of day.

You can join the Champlain Run Trout Club stocking program by visiting Green Drake Outfitters on Holland Ave.
Thanks, Fishboy.

I've heard the fish spent more time over near the Quebec shore. I also talked to an MNR guy at Bate Island and he said that he's seen some guys catch near the bridge on the Quebec side of Bate Island...up around the bridge pillars, but I haven't tried myself.

Any idea if more browns historically move into the shallower water as things start to cool down? Given that Sept 30 is the last day of the season for Browns I guess there isn't much more time for the water to cool down further.

Is there any chance of hooking up in the slower section of the Deschenes rapids (Ontario side of the island)?

Thanks for the info on the Champlain Run Trout Club - I'll chat with the guys at Green Drake the next time I'm there.

MrJams
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

MrJams,

I know that they move into the slower water because I've caught them there in the past. The problem is getting your fly through the phalanx of bass to the trout. Browns are very economical hunters preferring to lie in wait for food to come to them whereas the bass will go out of their way for a meal.

If you're interested, the Ottawa Flyfishers Society meets on the 1st Tuesday of every month. It's a great place to network and learn about flyfishing plus there's coffee and snacks....mmmmmmmm, snacks.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

I was in Port Hope on the 10th fishing for a couple of and only seen 4 fish the whole time. I will be heading up there again tonight. I will post how the fishing was when I return.
MrJams
Participant
Participant

Post by MrJams »

Fishboy wrote:MrJams,

I know that they move into the slower water because I've caught them there in the past. The problem is getting your fly through the phalanx of bass to the trout. Browns are very economical hunters preferring to lie in wait for food to come to them whereas the bass will go out of their way for a meal.

If you're interested, the Ottawa Flyfishers Society meets on the 1st Tuesday of every month. It's a great place to network and learn about flyfishing plus there's coffee and snacks....mmmmmmmm, snacks.
Thanks, Fishboy. Makes sense. Just gotta keep tryin...

Where does the OFS meet?

Do you know if there are any other stocked creeks/rivers around this area? (that you'd be willing to divulge of course :wink: )
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

just returned for Port Hope. There are a few fish running know. They just would not hit anything that was thrown at then. Will be heading back up on Sunday for a little longer fish.
JVE
Participant
Participant

OFS

Post by JVE »

In regards to where the OFS meets, check out the following URL- http://ottawaflyfishers.org/