looking for.........10 weight fly rod.

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

looking for.........10 weight fly rod.

Post by joco »

hi all

i am still looking for a 10 weight fly rod..or even go up to 12 weight.rod...and a large arber reel...

good quality....mabe a two hand model would be nice.

i will be trying a bit more for pike/musky and carp on fly this year...need some big back bones...... :twisted: .

plus i got some 8 inch fly to trow for pike/musky... :shock: :wink: .

any off you guys try those before...?

i love my 5/6 and my 8 weight.but i need more...... :o

thanks....if anyone see some used ones.......i saw some on ebay..but i want to see before i buy.

joco
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Joco,

A 10-wt or higher might be overkill for freshwater species. Some of my colleagues fish carp in rivers with a 6-wt!

I got a 9-wt specifically for pike, but it could also handle muskie and carp. Casting those big flies will need a combination of a stiff enough rod and good technique. I would probably troll something that big as opposed to casting. My 9-wt is ideal for casting larger deerhair flies to largemouth bass in lilly pads or slop.

What makes of rod, reel, and line were you looking at?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi fishboy....

first off al i would like a 2 hand model...and yes a 10 weight..i just want back bone,,,i could do ok wit my 8 weight...but i want that extra stifnest...

i am looking right now at orvis but they sher are expensive,,,there some shaeper model that would do the job to...templfork has some nice model,,,there tons on e bay deferent company that makes them...

will see what i can get,i am not in a hurry...... :wink:

a 10 weight is a bit stiff....a 12 weight is realy stiff...it might be a bit to stiff.

but defenetely want a 10 weight.. :P .

joco
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

joco,

A recommended outfit for carp is a 9' 5wt, paired with an 8wt reel, spooled with 5wt floating line and as much backing as you can get on. Because of the light takes you get from carp, the 5wt provides the sensativity to feel the takes. The 8wt reel gives you the room to hold all the extra backing you need when a big carp takes off! :-)

Cheers,
Todd
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

If you are looking at a 2 handed rod - spey - check out what you're buying very carefully. Their backbone strength is not necessarily what you might think it is. Spey rods were originally designed for long distance casting to salmon and steelhead in wide rivers. They are usually longer than 10 ft which adds to their longer casting range.

A saltwater rod with an extended butt section might be a good compromise (and it might be cheaper). Lots of backbone to cast those heavier flies and the butt section gives you added leverage to fight the fish.

I'd suggest spending a bit more on the reel with a good drag system. Todd makes a good point about lots of backing for carp...they take long and frequent runs downstream.

Hey, aren't we good at telling you how to spend your money!!! :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi fishboy

thanks for the tips.its appreciated. :wink: ,i will look into it harder soon..

todd b......

the combo those look nice to have a fight off a lifetime.wow.

but me i dont want to keep the fish going and going...carp or musky,,i would like to bring them to me pretty fast i dont want the fish to fight to long,,i want to let them go,so they have to be still energise... :o .

if i keep them on my rod to long and play wit them for my own fun,,its more dangerous for there safety...i wan to get them...a little fight,bring them in let go....that is about it.

i just want chalenge...on fly.

i got tons off bass.and some pike and trout.....now i will target carp/musky and will fish a bit more with my fly equipement this summer...

i just can wait ... :P

thanks again boys....

might take a look at something like a 9/10 weight the smales.. :wink:

joco
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Hi Joco
This past summer I did some fly fishing for bass and pike. This year i picked up an 11-12wt and I loved it for fliping over those bigger fly's Before I got the 11-12 I use a 9wt and it did a good job but there were times when I wanted a little more back bone to flip over the larger fly's like mice... I really like the extra stiffness of the 11-12, it feels like it could turn over any size fly...
OntheFly
Participant
Participant

Post by OntheFly »

Hey Joco,

Are you still looking for a 10 wt rod? I've got a Fenwick HMG 9' 10wt that I'm willing to part with. I've got a 10' 10wt that I use for salmon fishing. I'm using a Redington RS2 9/10 fly reel with it that I'm thinking of upgrading. The rod has been used maybe twice and reel, 3 times. If you're interested, send me a pm. I could let the pair go together for reasonable price if you like them. I could use the money on the new reel.

We've got to fly fishing together this season.

Come on spring!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

you got a pm.... :P

if anyone as a 12 weight fly rod to..just pm me thanks.

joco
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Gettinjiggywithit - You had problems tossing mice with a 9-wt? Was the rod action too soft? What leader & tippet were you using?

The reason I ask is because I also have a 9-wt (Orvis Trident 4-piece)and I have no trouble turning over mice patterns or deerhair frogs. I have even been successful at getting mice out there with my 6-wt provided my leader and tippet are appropriate to the need.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

Hey joco,

I think you're on the right track with a 10wt. rod. I used to use my salmon rod (10wt) for big pike in the early season.(pike doesn't close up north) throwing the same flies i think you're throwing for pike/musky. 6-7inches long, spun deer hair torpedo head with a long rabit hair tail.

the stiffness of the 10 also lets you get controlled "pops" with your big wet or dry flies. and the control is great!

I'd be really curious to hear about your carp rig on the fly rod. I got into some carp on the spinning last year.... but a singl action reel would be fun.

Have fun!

FromTheNorth
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Fishboy wrote:Gettinjiggywithit - You had problems tossing mice with a 9-wt? Was the rod action too soft? What leader & tippet were you using?

The reason I ask is because I also have a 9-wt (Orvis Trident 4-piece)and I have no trouble turning over mice patterns or deerhair frogs. I have even been successful at getting mice out there with my 6-wt provided my leader and tippet are appropriate to the need.
I didn't have a problem turning over the small store bought mice. The problem started when I made my own mice or should I say... rats! Some of them are like 10" long if you include the tails not to mention the wire leaders. Some of the mice have wire leaders built in! :wink: Ive been useing air flo leaders and flouro tippets. My 9wt is a loomis gl3 and my 11-12wt is imx mega. This year I'm going to try useing heavier flouro like 50-80lbs insted of the wire! I also wanted a rod that could handle some larger salt water spiecies like tarpon! My goal this year is to catch a musky on a fly rod!
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

getnjiggywithit wrote: I didn't have a problem turning over the small store bought mice. The problem started when I made my own mice or should I say... rats!
That was a good one! :lol: :lol: