redington or temple fork...?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

redington or temple fork...?

Post by joco »

hi lookig for a 12 weight rod..and now looking betwen the redington rs3 and the temple fork profesionale series...

any ideal witch one is better or have more for the $$$$..???

thanks.

joco... :?:
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

I have a TFO and love it. Great rod and the Lifetime Warranty is great...even if I slam it in the car door, they will replace it free of charge. Can't beat that. Don;t know much about Redington but I like TFO. My 2 cents
BA
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi bass assasin..

thanks for the response.

i do no there about the same price...can get a s3 redington for 129$US. special...suposely 199US before..so good deal....i will chek there warenty.

but the fork ,i did not no they were life time. good to no.. :wink:

my orvis have a life time .or should i say 25years now...good to.

any more comment on those to is greatly welcome.

joco
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I've cast both companies' rods I I think that they are pretty good for the money. I'm not a big TFO fan (they just don't feel right to me), but most people think they're great....can't argue with the prices. I own a 9-wt Redington reel - I love it.

Realistically, there's not much difference between a lifetime warranty and a 25-year warranty. The real test is when you want the company in question to honour the warranty.

See if the dealers will load one up for you to try in the parking lot, just to get a feel for each one. That should make your decision easier. If they don't want to do that, what are they going to be like when it comes time to service the warranty? Of course, if you're ordering over the internet, you can't try before you buy.

BTW - DO NOT BUY LOW-END FLY LINE!!!! There really is a noticeable difference in performance between economy lines and the good stuff.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi fishboy..

BTW - DO NOT BUY LOW-END FLY LINE!!!! There really is a noticeable difference in performance between economy lines and the good stuff

yep..thanks

i already own a good orvis combo 8 weight and 2 combo..5 and 6 weight.

and a combo......reel redington s3 9/10 weight,,that is great wit a fenwick rod.

but would like to get a other combo a 12 weight....or mabe one more 10 weight....still desiding..but already have a 10 and i think a 12 would trow thoe 8inch fly and biger,, :shock: better i think..but there almost not made to trow. :? .

i was even thinking spey rod 12 weight.but again..not sher. :roll:

would like to try it before.

joco
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

One thing when considering a new rod is to know what action (stiffness) of fly rod that you are looking for. Large wind resistant flies require a fast action or extra-fast action fly rod to be able to cast properly. For most freshwater situations a 9 or 10wt fast action fly rod will be sufficient. Never buy a fly rod that you haven't cast. Good fly shops will let you test cast whatever rod you are interested in. I haven't had any experience with either Reddignton or Temple Fork. I do know that if you buy a Sage, you'll be happy.

I agree with Fishboy about buying line. Buy the best line you can afford. Also, for larger flies buy a line with the correct taper such as a muky / pike taper.

Salar
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

joco,

The redington is a slightly faster rod than the TFO. If I were looking for a fast rod in the TFO line it would be the TiCr-X model. You're definitely paying more but there are also saltwater safe in case you have to oportunity for some saltwater fun.

As for the brands, I have both and have no problems with either manufacturer.

Cheers,
Todd
LostFisherman
Participant
Participant

Selecting a Fly Rod

Post by LostFisherman »

Joco
I'm a novice at fly fishing compared to Fishboy and Salar, but what they are telling you about trying out a rod before you is 100% true. When I went to buy my first GOOD rod I asked for advice from the guys on the board here and they told me what I needed to know about selecting the RIGHT rod as far as Action and Weigt goes. I was after an 8wt for the Nipigon River and I was told I needed an 8wt Fast Action 9foot rod. With this information I went shopping to a reputable fly shop and they put out 5 rods from different manufactures with the same reel and line on all of the and had me try to cast with each one in the parking lot. 2 out of the 5 I couldn't cast at all. 1 out of the 5 did cast a little. 2 out of the 5 I did pretty good with and one I could consistently cast long distance with. I bought that one which was a Sage XP. My next rod was for smaller streams and for bass and Again the guys recomended what I needed so I went shopping again. This time the Temple Fork Outfitter did the best and that is what I bough in a 5wt. It's not the price that makes the rod it's what you can actually cast and feel comfortable with. The one thing I did find out is that it takes some research to figure out what you really need to get the job done. Lots of key questions need to be answered before you buy! Like what fish are you after? What are the water and terrain conditions like where you will be fishing? What kind of ater are you going to be fishing in?
After the rod the line becomes equaly important for what your fishing for. Floating lines,Sinking lines, Sinking Tips, Weight Forward, Shooting Head Lines, Clouser lines, Musky-Pike Lines. This list can go on! But machting the weight of the line to the rod you have is a must for the species your after and the conditions you'll be fishing. Sometimes having spare spools set up with different types of lines for a fast switch over can be a lifesaver when the fish aren't hitting on one style of fishing. Lets say they are hitting on the top of the water in the mornning but start going deep in the day and you are set up with a floating line. You now have to add weight to your line to get it down which could affect the action of your fly. Or you could switch spools with a sinking line and go after them that way.
Bottom line is I would really listen to fishboy and salar because they know what they are talking about. there are some other very knowladgeable guys on the board here that could help you out also so you don't as they say "Re-Invent The Wheel".
Good luck and Tight Lines.

Lostfisherman.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

I have several rods from 3wt (TFO) to 9wt and another TFO on the way. And I have mixed and matched my lines with them all. Eventually you can cast pretty good with all of them regardless. Or maybe I've been doing it so long now, I've lost all sense of what's a good or bad cast (or I don't care). But the one thing I will agree with Fishboy on is the quality of line. The more you pay, the better it casts. Getting back to the rods, it is my impression that TFO's are more prevalent and that may tell you something about what may be still around 10 to 20 years from now and how well you get serviced when you eventually break that tip. How's that for fatalism?

bobfly :)
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

Breaking a rod is inevitable. I broke my first Sage rod 3 days after I bought it. It went from a 4 piece to a 7 piece. The good thing was that I had no problem getting it replaced under warranty. Considering Sage owns Reddington, I would assume the warranty service would be the same.

Salar.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

Joco, I have a redington, love it. I will bring it to show you next time I see you..
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I will get a redington.already have my 9/10 weight reel redigton.will get the rod now.

thanks guys

and its special right now.. :wink:
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I came across this info on another forum. Fly Fishing Insider did a review of 13 different 9ft 6wt mid-priced rods ($200-400). There results are below:

Ranking:

1. Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Series - $210
2. G. Loomis Streamdance Metolius High Line Speed - $385
3. Sage Fli - $295
4. St. Croix Legend Ultra Fly $310
5. Sage VT2 - $400
6. Redington CPS - $279
7. Orvis TLS Power Matrix - $325
8. Scott V2 - $195
9. Redington RS3 Series - $199
10. St. Croix Avid Series - $230
11. Powell TiMax - $279
12. Winston Vapor - $279
13. Cabelas FT Series - $270

Salar
swellcat
Participant
Participant

Post by swellcat »

Did you purchase yet? Nice sale
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

no not yet.

but that link is great, nice to see the ranking.

but again that redington at 99$$ in special is a great deal i think.

1/2 price.pretty hard to beat i think...might not be the best.

but its the best for the $

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... featflyfsh

if anyone is looking for one to.

joco