Tips for a brand new fly fisher?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tips for a brand new fly fisher?

Post by FishingIsHealing »

My father decided to surprise me for my birthday and bought me some flyfishing stuff so I could be set up for flyfishing.

I don't yet have the stuff but I will tomorrow and am just wondering if anyone has some general tips and knowledge that could come in handy for me......

Once I have the stuff I will post what it is and pictures etc just for fun...And for comments....

I haven't seen what he's got me yet, but I have one part of it, which is a Fenwick HMX 5wt ( I think thats the weight) rod which is good for beginners I think.....but I don't know much about flyfishing so I could be wrong....it looks and feels nice in my hands though so it should be good.

I'm excited to try flyfishing!

I'm gonna go put in the flyfishing DVD i have and get ready for this....

Any tips and advice you can give to me is great!

Thank you!
Rybren
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rybren »

I'm a noobie as well (as the lads who have seen me fish can well attest to), but here are some links to a few sites...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkca ... index.html

The Ottawa Fly Fishers Society http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkca ... index.html has clinics that run through the winter.

Of course, you could come out to the Tuesday night outings and I'm sure that that someone will give you a hand or maybe even one of their magic flies. The next outing is tomorrow night at Strathcona Park.

Welcome.

Jerry
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks so much for the info!

I can't wait to start flyfishing. I just hope my dad actually got me line too! lol.....instead of just a reel.......that would blow bigtime...haha

I would love to come to Strathcona sometime but I'm limited due to not having a drivers licence and the ol health. hahaaha......

I will be flyfishing in Manotick......give me a heads up if you guys ever come out here...now that I have a fly rod, I will be able to join you guys......

Thanks again!

==Tom==
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Tom,
Be sure to post when you have your kit. I live in barrhaven and fish manotick often... cause it's close and i'm lazy... anyhow....

I'd be glad to pick you up and go for a fish one eveing/morning...

Do you have waders? You mention your health, so is wading even an option for you?
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Wading is barely an optioon for me.

Wading for me is kind of, walking the shore.....If i am with a buddy i might try wading but i'm too afraid I could collapse i get dizzy quite often and tend to faint......don't want to drown..especially when i'm alone....

I call walking the shore 20 ft from a chair, wading lol........

I've only waded once and that was because people were fishing at my bridge pillar, so I had no choice....and i would sit down every once in a while too.....

Do you know of anywhere that is shallow enough to actually wade? I can think of a few spots in Manotick that are...i wont say them here just because of fishing traffic but you've probably been to both of them.

I need to get a belt for my waders too, they are a danger......right now i tie a rope around me....

Anyways PM me if you wanna fish sometime. I'm pretty hard to get out with because I don't know how i will feel on any given day.....I can't reallly predict when i'll be feeling "ok" enough to go outside and stuff....but sometimes i can....
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

good work sending out subliminal messages to your family to get you some fly gear. can you show me how to do that? please!?!?

anyways, i can give you some quick lessons if you want. if i'm down in the manotick area, i'll pm ya to see if we can hook up.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The Barnsdale Bridge section of the Rideau in Manotick offers some shallow water that is wadable without waders. Other suggestions are the downstream point at Black Rapids locks, above the dam at Long Island or even Dows lake and the backwater areas within the arboritum. The latter two do not require you to wade.

Cheers,
Todd
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Okay so everyone,

I'm not totally set u for fly fishing......

I have the HMX fly rod, 5 weight.....

Got a Scientific angler reel, model 56L of the 2L series or something....

scientific angler line, the cheap stuff...30$ or whatever.....

Scientific angler backing..

I don't have FLIES, or some leader or something....I don't know the name y dad says he'll give me some next time we meet for coffee or fishing.....

Anyways, it looks like i've got a nice starters/beginner setup and i'm happy with everything it all feels and look nice.....Good job Dad~!!!

Just gotta wait to get those flies and tip leaders or whatever he called them..

I'm definitely gonna fly fish before the end of the year, i'm gonna do it many times....It looks amazing...........

If any of you are in the Manotick area ever, send me a PM because I would love to meet and spend some time fishing with other Fish-Hawk members since I'm always fishing alone......

Thanks for all your help guys, I truly appreciate it and can't wait to start fly fishing!

Take Care!

===Tom===
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I am going to assume that you will learn the basics of casting in an open field before you hit the water..... :wink:

As far as flies go, get a handful of #8 bead head woolly buggers in black and olive and you are good to go tussle with the smallies and rock bass in the Manotick area.

The "tip thing" is called a tippet. Nothing fancy is required to catch bass out of the Rideau. A 6' - 8' strip of 6 or 8 lb mono off the fly line is all you need.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

FishingisHealing,

Just curious but is the SA fly line that came with your outfit the type made for using the L2L connetor system? If if is you might consider cutting it off and replacing it with a simple loop connector so that you can use other brands of leader or even plain mono.

In either case, for the fishing you're going to be doing around here a 9' 3x leader will suffice.

Cheers,
Todd
nickysam
Participant
Participant

Post by nickysam »

Fly-fishing has become major business for tackle manufacturers. Fly rod models change more often than automobiles. Reel makers spring up like mushrooms. Breathable waders are so popular that there are new brands of breathable materials seemingly born every day.

--------------------------
Nickysam

social network advertising
katiesofia
Participant
Participant

Re: Tips for a brand new fly fisher?

Post by katiesofia »

Here are a few tips for getting started.
1. Get a fly rod, some line, and flies, and start fishing with care. You'll learn about the sport that way.
2) Fly fishing is one of the highest levels of machismo in all sports; if you want to succeed at it then go ask one of those fishermen at the lake behind your house where to buy new clothes so you can stand out like a sore thumb!
3) If you're brand new to fly fishing or have it on your list for an enjoyable relaxing hobby, don't invest too much time or money in rigging up until you've fished for a while first (years). Spend time researching rods first before anything.

In short, the simple answer I would give someone who wants to get started in fly fishing would be this- "Go find a local pond or river where fishermen are around that you know don't.

Here's a good place to start:

https://bestbassfishinglures.com/
https://fishvantage.com/best-underwater-fishing-camera/
https://outdoortroop.com/is-fishing-a-s ... stly-luck/