Konnichiwa

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Konnichiwa

Post by Fishboy »

After several summers of fishing at least once a week, there hasn’t been too much fishing in my life since the end of August. I moved from Ottawa to Yokohama, Japan to work with an agency that places language teachers in private universities in the Tokyo – Yokohama area. Life has been pretty good since my arrival, but my fishing gear has been in transit and I confess that I’m going through withdrawal. Some of my gear arrived last week and I’m hoping that the rest will appear this week.

I’ve made several trips into Tokyo for training at the agency’s head office and each time the train crosses a rather wide river with several smaller channels. Invariably, there is someone fishing while I stand on the train wishing I could trade places.

Today was Sunday and I managed to go to the Futoka Tamagawa station to see the Tamagawa River. The Tamagawa begins in the central mountains of Japan and runs all the way to the ocean. The spot where I visited it is about 10 kms from the ocean.

It was overcast when my girlfriend and I arrived and the park land along both banks was crowded with pinickers, musicians, families out for the day, and cyclists. Of course, there were anglers of all kinds including a couple of fly fishers. In a back channel of no more than 10 meters across I saw large carp swimming about and there were several anglers after them, one of whom was on the fly.

I walked over to the bank near where he was fishing and quietly observed how he went about his business. It was obvious that he was trying to catch one of the huge goldfish that had been washed into the river during a flood. I could also see the long dorsal fins of several carp that were hovering around in the area. The fly fisher tossed his smallish fly at the pod of fish and tried to hook up. After several failed attempts, he reached into his pocket and threw what appeared to be bread crusts into the water where the fish were swimming. The water came alive with fish and the man tossed his fly into their midst.

Within seconds his line went taut and his reel screamed. His fly rod was bent, straining under the weight of what looked like a really nice carp. Several times he brought it close to his net and each time the fish sped away.

After about 10 minutes of this, the fish tired and the man scooped it up into his net. He brought the fish onto the river bank and a small crowd gathered around his catch. “Tabemasu ka? (Are you gonna eat that thing?)” asked one woman. “Ii-ee (nope), he answered. “Kono gawa wa totemo kitennaii. (The river’s really dirty.)” he added.

The man measured the fish – 90 cm – and weighed it – 6.5 kg and then carefully noted the details in his log book. I managed to ask him a few questions in my broken Japanese and my girlfriend (she’s Japanese) asked a few more on my behalf. He fishes there every Sunday, mostly for carp. He was using an 8-wt with a small #10 beige colored minnow pattern that looked a lot like a bread crust. Within a couple of minutes, he brought the fish to the water and carefully revived it.

I asked the man about fishing licenses. While most people don’t bother to obtain one, legally you need a license to fish. It turns out that his good friend – who was absent today – is the guy who sells the licenses. Fishing license management in Japan, and stream management, has been turned over to individuals in fishing clubs. The government doesn’t police it at all. I asked about other species and he replied that there are sea-run trout and salmon in the spring. He also noted that the river is usually dangerously high during those periods and that each year there are a few people who drown.

I thanked the man very much for his patience and let him get about to the business of carp fishing on the fly. Next weekend I intend to return to the Tamagawa and seek out the license guy. With any luck, I’ll be into some of the carp that my new friend caught today.

Please excuse the poor quality of the photos - they were taken with my cell-phone camera.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

Hey Brian,

Good to hear you are getting back into the fishing. It sounds like there is a lot to sort out before you even wet a line.

Great report and pics. Look forward to more.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

cool report Brian!

I will be over there in the future .. I may have to stop in thru Yokohama for a fish ;)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Hey Akira,

Were've you been hiding? I haven't seen you in a dog's age...the mochii festival last winter, maybe? When areyou coming to Japan? Give me a shout if you're out this way and we'll see if we can't land some of those carp.

I'm really jazzed because my wading boots arrived today and that means I'm pretty much ready to fish the Tamagawa. I've got to get a bigger net though as my little trout net wouldn't even hold a carp's crap!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Brain,

Glad to hear that you'll finally be able to wet a line again. I'm suffering from a little withdrawl as well, given that the last time I was roughly two weeks ago. The last week was spent in Paris with Cindy. I'm hoping to get up the valley for some bows this weekend, assuming I can fix a leak in my upper tube bladder.

So given the Paul has set up shop in Vancouver we might be able to set up some tri-level destination trips. :lol:

Cheers,
Todd
HereMyGo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HereMyGo »

Awesome story.

That said though, I don't even know if i could find the ambition to fish for a carp at all. They do put up a great fight, don't get me wrong, but to me they are like a catfish...dirty.

There is no part of them whatsoever (including the fight) that makes me want to land them.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Todd - I'm up for friendship visits from "foreign navies"...... A longer message will be on its way via e-mail to you and Cindy very soon. I'd have sent one sooner but my computer has crapped out a couple of times since arriving.

Heremygo - I hear you loud and clear on the carp being dirty, but desparate people will do desparate things. You should see the water quality in most "rivers" here in urban Japan. I liken them to open sewers, yet there are many species of fish living in the stuff.

You guys in the Ottawa Valley have it made in the shade when it comes to fishing opportunities - the fish are varied and plentiful, there are lots of lakes and rivers to fish, and the water is really clean.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

Fishboy wrote:Hey Akira,

Were've you been hiding? I haven't seen you in a dog's age...the mochii festival last winter, maybe? When areyou coming to Japan? Give me a shout if you're out this way and we'll see if we can't land some of those carp.
I think it was mochii fest last year, yeah.. it's been a while. I hope to be attending a forensics seminar next Summer in Kyoto. If I end up going to it, I'll be extending my stay and visiting family all around the mainland. Yokohama could be done -- especially if it's to experience fly fishing in another country! :D
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Very cool report!

I am really interested in seeing more from Japan!!!

Get your fishing gear and get a licence and start taking pictures of all the interesting fish you catch!!!

We wanna SEE!!! :lol:

That was very skinny for a Carp by the way......almost looked like a Barbel or some other type of Cyrpinid.......

There are so many types of fish that are in the Carp family and look exactly like Carp almost....theres 100's+ of them......

Thanks for the awesome report!

Hope you start to find more fishing spots and are able to take some time out to fish or them.....

TAKE CARE!!!

==Tom==