Grey's Rods Experience

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Grey's Rods Experience

Post by wongrs »

I ran into a retailer selling Grey's rods in Toronto and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them. Specifically I'm looking at the G series and the GRXI in the 10' 8wt.

Any comments?
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I believe they're a UK company. That's all I know.
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

i was previously set on the sage launch or the sage FLI or the TFO TiCr for my salmon rod.

i'm also preferring the 10' rod (which the Sages do not come in). looks like all signs are currently pointing to Greys. I'm going to pick it up this coming weekend if he has them in stock.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Not fly fishing related but I have a few Grey's rods for carp fishing and Grey’s is an English company.

Quality rods for sure, I have a Grey's spod rod on order (kinda like a 12’6", 1000wt fly rod). The UK backs the carp rods for life.

These rods are far from inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. :D
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

Is the Grey rod you're looking at an 8wt or a 7/8wt?

The Sage flight (previously called FLI) has 7wt 10'. The VT2 series are available in 9' 6". The TFO signature series 7wt and 8wt are available in 10' lengths.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Rich,

My guess is that you'd have to find a UK fly fishing board to get any useful comments w.r.t. the Grey's rods.

I have a TFO TiCr 9' 8wt. If you'd like to hook up to give it a few casts let me know. If you're looking for a longer rod my suggestion would be the TFO Professional, unfortunately they are only available in the US. In any case you'll defintely want to avoid the fast action rods as they are not supple enough to handle steelhead on the light tippets you're typically forced to used.

Cheers,
Todd
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

I have fished the greys streamflex 10 ft 4 wt and it is the nicest river nymphing rod I have ever fished. A few friends of mine swear by Grey's rods, havent heard anything bad about them to be honest.
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

thanks for the replies. i'm going to try to pick one up next time i'm in toronto (which might be christmas). all are welcome to try it out if we're ever on the water together.