Lefty Kreh's Casting Techniques

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lefty Kreh's Casting Techniques

Post by Hookup »

Does anyone have any videos, or photo-based instruction on his technique? I've just finished reading his autobiography (btw, good read.. not amazing, but good) and in it he textually describes his casting technique... I could not follow. There are no photos, etc...

I tried to youtube.com search some vid's but the ones I found were limited to mainly "move the line to cast" and "use your body"... the rest of his principals/technique i could not find... and they are the ones dealing with the actual mechanics of the cast... :)

Anyone got anything???
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

The Ottawa Flyfishers Society has have a copy of one of his casting videos in its library. If you are a member you can borrow the video.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

I want to be a member, but I'm 100% busy on Tuesdays forever (shared access to my kids, Tuesday's is my night)... So no real point in donating cash to never make any events... (and no, I'm not going back to court to change the access nights.. hahahhahah)

I'm going to keep searching the net, or maybe buy the vid.
uberfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uberfish »

I got a video of Mel Krieger's casting techniques from the Ottawa library, maybe they have Lefty's too. And the dvd is free (if you return it on time). Mel's was good for really laying out the fundamentals of casting if you can't find Lefty's.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Thanks all for the above...

I finally found some videos.. wow... not an easy task... They also seem to take forever to load... but i've viewed all of them... and to me, Lefty makes a load of sense... in fact, in checking out some of the casting diagrams from other pages, and using Lefty's logic, you can see the same flaws in teaching that he points out... If they are true or not is certainly something I cannot comment on, but I can see what he is saying is a problem...

First and foremost, if you do not know much about Lefty Kreh, think of him as that neighbor who is retired, and when you're out doing anything, would be the first to look over your shoulder and tell you your doing it wrong, then try to show/tell you how to do it "the right way, or a better way... i.e. his way..." This neighbor is a nice guy, wonderful in fact... lived a long life, full of great stories, and has no evil or malicious bones in his body... You know back in his prime, he'd be the first guy you could call for help, and wouldn't leave till the job is done... The odd part is that this neighbors advise and guidance never fails to sound just a tad condescending... Fatherly in that way that isn't really offensive to people who are not actually his family but you know when he talks to his kids, they cannot stand having him give them *more* advise...

Taking that description into account... Lefty has some very specific thoughts about the "orvis" school of casting... and I would say that he is less than a fan of Orvis as a company... i think that comes thru in his hits on the 10 and 2 casting system... not to mention his hits on their practices of ripping off fly patterns without paying the creators... i.e. ovris sells a deceiver... not called "lefty's deceiver" just called a deceiver.. therefore he gets no royalties on his own pattern... (again, his words, not mine)

If you're still interested in this 82yr old (at the time of the videos) rebel of fly-casting check out his vids... about 40min in total...

http://www.fishbuzz.tv

Look under Fly-Fishing (left hand menu), then find Lefty Kreh. Just start at the first video listed and work your way thru all of them... Vid 3 is 12+min and took quite a while to load, so long I thought it was broken (id say 3min to 6min should be expected... maybe 10min).

Anyhow, enjoy.. He's somewhat entertaining, and obviously an accomplished fly fisher/caster/tier...

Tim