Jock River

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Jock River

Post by Todd B. »

The recent rains have manged to raise water levels somewhat, providing some nice fishable water. Over the span of about an hour I was into at least two dozen fish of varying sizes (including 2 eyes). While you can occasionally hook into a SM over 12", you're typically into smaller fish. The type of water and fish sizes make it a perfect spot to break out your lightweight gear and have some fun. The evening hatches also provide some fun dry fly opportunities.

On a side note, the "white bucket" group that was (unfortunately) there, were in awe of hookup rate on the my fly. The one chap wanted to see what my "magic bait" was. LOL The fact that they did not know what fly fishing was will continue to limit them to dunking worms under a float. 8)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
crankbait58
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by crankbait58 »

Hey Todd - very interesting. I used to do a lot of fly fishing for both trout and salmon in my days living in BC but I never gave much thought to using the fly rods for bass and walleye until I saw you and a few others reporting on FH - do you fish a wet or dry fly rig for the purpose? I'm also curious as to the general fly patterns you use. Thanks, Crankbait
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

A lot depends on the water conditions, whether there is a hatch on that they're feeding on, etc. In most cases I'll start out with a streamer. If conditions permit I'll switch to a popper at some point to have some topwater fun. If there is a hatch going on and they're taking emerges, etc I'll match the hatch.

For walleye, just use baitfish streamers.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

What do you mean by "White Bucket"?

I've been catching Bass and some Pickerel on the Jock using black woolly buggers. Been catching a few leeches as well (My feet make good bait I guess) The leech was short and fat so my buggers are short and fat.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

It's an adjective that is commonly used to describe those anglers that keep everything that they catch. In most cases they're not hard to miss...the fish is reeled in and into the bucket it goes regardless of size.

"Meaters" is another commonly used term, though they (usually) tend to be more selective of the fish they keep. :-)
jeff62
Participant
Participant

Post by jeff62 »

i've caught 3 smallies over four lbs in the jock so far this year