using a swivel to attach a fly?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

using a swivel to attach a fly?

Post by CRP_4321 »

I'm new to fly fishing, finally started to cast well.

I use #8 rod, #7 reel (I like Bass)

I was thinking of using the smallest swivels you can buy for easy changing of my flies (Woolly Buggers Mostly). I would attach it to the tippet (3X is that good?)

I was also considering using another swivel to attach green line to the leader.

Anyone done this successfully?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I'll use a small crosslock snap (30lb) on my pike leaders only because the 40lb bite tippets are not much fun to tie to flies. For everything else I tie directly to the fly.

On a side note, it sounds as though you're targeting LM with an 8wt rod? If so you might be able to get away with 3X in open water. Myself I stick to 0X when I'm fishing LM.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

Thanks for your reply Todd B.

So it is possible but not commonly done for smaller tippets. I'll be giving it a try, see how it goes.

I have been using the 3X tippet on the Jock and Rideau River, nothing but rock bass, sunfish, and those big minnows(River Chub?)

I've seen my friend pull out a 3pd Pickerel in the same spot as me so there is definitely lots to learn still.

I'll look into the larger tippet sizes, maybe 1X since I have a few #6 flies(based on a chart I've seen).

Regards,
Chris
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Chris,

I tipically only fish a 4wt or 5wt on the Rideau. My 8wt only comes out if I'm fishing weedy areas for LM or pike and I need the extra backbone (or I"m chucking those big wind resistant bass bugs.)

3X tippet will work fine as long as you're not chucking heavy (i.e. Tungston head) flies, in which case 1X or 0X might be appropriate. Personally I find it easier to re-tie a fly than to mess with snaps. Besides, if at some point you want to switch to a dry fly you either have to change leaders or cut the snap off.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

a swivel isn't too bad of an idea. with a swivel, you get more of a jigging action on heavy flies than if you tied the line directly to the hook eye. i've started using a loop knot this year and i was surprised to see how much of a difference it made. it depends on how your fly is weighted as well. a swivel would also help with weight.
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

also, if you want to catch more bass and less sunfish, then use a bigger streamer! like a 3"+ bugger or clouser.
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

CRP_4321

I have never used a swivel when fly-fishing. Also, I will say nothing about pike fishing in my post – it is another story.

I was thinking of using the smallest swivels you can buy for easy changing of my flies (Woolly Buggers Mostly). I would attach it to the tippet (3X is that good?)

Having a swivel at the end of your tippet does 2 things. #1 is that It saves time in changing your fly. You might want to frequently change your fly to find out what fish are looking for.

And, #2 is, you will not be shortening your tippet every time you change your fly. If you do not use a swivel, sooner or later you will have to tie in a new tippet with the correct length or use a new leader.

Should you wish to use a swivel, I say, go ahead. But it is against my “religion” in fly-fishing (FF). If I were to also realistic flies, I might as well use a UL spinning rod. Realistic flies – in my opinion - are basically “lures” to be used with spinning rods – just like little grasshopper, little hellgrammite and etc that are being sold for spin fishing.

But there is a solution to get what you want or need and not use swivels. These are a lot lighter than swivels – and this positive. See a PIC at the bottom.

Mustad makes these doo-hickies that they call them - “snaps”. They come in 3 sizes and I do have some somewhere. These would be perfect for bass flies, wooly buggers, streamers and etc and other larger flies. The snaps can be used with nymphs and I have heard people using them with dry flies (??). The good thing about these snaps, there is nothing to “lock” like with most swivels.

http://www.bigtentackle.com/bt/snaphook.htm

Whether 3X is good or not depends on the fly that you are using. It also depends on how wind resistant your fly is. Check this chart for tippet vs fly size relationship. Since you fish for bass, I would say that 0X and 1X would be better than 3X.

I do not have 10X tippets. Once I get some, I will be fishing to get into the 10-20-30 club – 10X tippet, 20 inch trout, size 30 hook size (fly). Yes, I will soon be tying size 30 dry flies come September – will post some PICS when I do. I am still trying to find someone in Canada who has and sells size 32 hooks – Tiemco #518.

I was also considering using another swivel to attach green line to the leader.

I do not know what you mean by “green line” but I am assuming it is your fly line. I would not use a swivel. I use mono leaders and I tie my own. I can see why you would want a swivel – so you could change leaders quickly. This is my set-up and what I do – I connect, loop-to-loop - changes are quick.

==========!!--------()()________________

== is the fly line
!! is the nail knot
-------- is the 30 lb mono
()() are the loops
____ is the leader

See the complete write-up below under the heading “INSTRUCTIONS – LEADER”.

I'll look into the larger tippet sizes, maybe 1X since I have a few #6 flies(based on a chart I've seen).

With size 6 fly, 1X or 2X can be used. 1X – for flies 4-6-8 and 2x for flies 6-8-10. If your fly #6 is heavier or more wind resistant I would use the heavier X tippet which would be 1X. But depending on your fly, even a 0X might be perfect.

I think I have answered your questions from your posts.

There are a number of things to look at.

Here is a site that has just about everything about fly-fishing and fly tying.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Here is some good information – given in several charts.

http://www.killroys.com/charts/charts.htm

The key areas are –

“Fly Line and Fly Balancing” – this chart is correct.

“Fly Line, Butt Diameter, Tippet Size, Fly size” - this is not totally correct.

Do not use the chart – “Tippet – Fly Size Balancing”. IT IS NOT CORRECT. The chart from photobucket (above) is correct and good.

One more thing. There is a message board that I and wongrs (yes the same one who is on FH) belong to. We both, as others, have information extracted from regular posts and put into a STICKY. You can check the rest out also.

http://forums.oodmag.com/

---- > Fly Fishing ---- > Sticky Getting started in fly fishing

And if there is a need to have more movement in your fly, instead of a regular swivel, you can use a small loop at the end of your tippet – I think it is called a Rapala loop – maybe. This loop is used with the original stick Rapalas – especially the smaller ones.

carp-starter

NOTE: If there are any errors, please notify me because there is no purpose having GARBAGE here.

INSTRUCTIONS - LEADER

I do not tie my leader directly to my fly line. I tie loop-to-loop.

This is what we will have once you finish.

==========!!--------()()________________

== is the fly line
!! is the nail knot
-------- is the 30 lb mono
()() are the loops
____ is the leader

Get about 12 inches of about 30 lb test mono. Make sure the thickness of your mono is not thicker than the end of your fly line. Just make sure the mono is thinner. If it is too thin, you may have to go up to 40 lb and etc.

Use a nail knot to tie your mono to the fly line.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/i ... dknots.com

http://www.killroys.com/knots/nail.htm

Use a Surgeon's Loop to tie in a loop in you mono. The length of your mono should end up being between 3 to 4 inches.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgloop.htm

Now use the loop-to-loop connection and connect the leader your mono. Make sure you do it right cause there is a way of screwing it up.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/looploop.htm
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Chris,

I didn't notice the "green line" comment earlier and like others assume you're refering to your fly line. I like a number of the others prefer the use of a loop connector rather than tying my leader permanently onto my fly line. As previously mentioned the easiest method is to a fix a short piece of 30lb mono to your fly line, ending with a perfection loop.

Other options include installing a braided loop connector or form your own fly line loops.

I would suggest checking out Ian Colin James' website. He provides loads of tips and tricks, especially his "Bass Leader" setup.
Ian Colin James wrote: A Few Words About Leaders
This is dead easy.
1. Pick up two spools of your favorite leader material in 4-pound and 6-pound.
2. Tie one end of the leader material onto the end of the fly line.
3. Pull off about 12 feet of the leader material.
4. Tie the fly onto the leader with a Palomer knot.
5. Head to the river.
With respect to tippet sizes, the general rule of thumb is to simply divide your hook size by 5 to roughly get your tippet size.

(i.e. #16 => 3x)

Keep in mind that this is based on unweighted dry flies. Weighted or wind resistant files (poppers, foam bodied flies) will require larger tippets in order to turn the flies over. If you're fishing streamers (especially for bass) you really don't care about turning over your fly, and Ian's method is especially easy and cost effective.

Cheers,
Todd
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

Thank you for all of the replies and the details put into them. You have all been very helpful.

I will look into these options.

Regards,
Chris
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

Thank you for all of the replies and the details put into them. You have all been very helpful.

I will look into these options.

Regards,
Chris
Evan
Participant
Participant

Post by Evan »

I've tried those snaps years ago and cant say i liked them very much, had some large trout as well as salmon straighten them out. i stick to the tippet and knots, too many steel gadgets such as swivels and snaps feels like spin fishing, but thats just me.